Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for those of you who own/use a RAS

Question for those of you who own/use a RAS

Bought a Dewalt MBF for $75 last year. I don't know about doing a complete restoration, but figured on fixing it up (doesn't need much!), and find a place for it in the shop. Haven't really done much, kinda been on the back burner. So, now I find a Dewalt GP for sale for $150. The motor's been rewound, been sitting since. The owner hasn't tried it, doesn't even have 220 in his garage to try it. He bought it from his boss, didn't think the saw has ever been turned on since the rewind. Should I go for "more power"? The MBF is 3/4hp/8 1/2" and the GP is 2hp/12". I was more than content with the MBF.....until I saw this one. Of course I haven't "seen" it yet, plan on looking at it tomorrow (if it's still available). If it's gone, I'll be relieved....maybe. Just wondering if it's too big? I know, that's just silly! But still. Worth it? Thanks. Greg
    Last edited by Greg Urwiller; 02-24-2012 at 8:37 PM.

I think the GP has a 1" arbor. Other than that It sounds like a deal if it works and all of the pieces are there. I traded up from a MBF to a GWI(1.5hp)

Hi Greg,
    It would depend on what you cut the most in your shop. If you never cut anything bigger than a pine 2 x 4 you'll be ok with the smaller machine. But if you cut a lot of hardwood you'll be glad for the extra HP. Also it will have a longer stroke so you will be able to cut wider pieces with it. I use my DeWalt RAS all the time.

Gary

Is the GP a three phase ?

That could make a big difference....
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

A(nother) proper cast iron RAS for only $150? I wouldn't have wasted the time writing this thread. It'd be in my truck already!

Those saws are going to look great next to each other in your shop!

Is there a question here? By now, I assume you have it home.

Rick Potter

RAS is the best tool in my shop for cross grain dado work. you want as much power as possible for that kind of work.

I've had several small radial arm saws. For me the main limitation has been the crosscut capability--the length of it, that is. How do those dimensions compare for the GP and the one you have? Depth of cut may or may not be an issue for you. It's useful to be able to cut a 4 x 4 or a piece of 3" pvc in one cut. A cheap miter saw can usually do that but many small RASs, even 10" ones, can't. A three phase saw and a good VFD--$100 or so--are really nice. You can set the speed, the braking and so on to your purposes. I think that makes for greater safety as well as not-dimming-the-lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Muller View Post
    ... For me the main limitation has been the crosscut capability--the length of it, that is...
    Ah! I have the solution for that. Buy a bigger one

I honestly have no interest what so ever in 3 phase, yea I drool over some of the old arn, but that's it. Anyway, I must be the only one who's called on the RAS. The owner wanted me to wait till tomorrow morning to look at it. Been listed since Tuesday, must not be any other interest. But I have another question....is the 1" arbor any problem? Is a standard 12" blade going to have a 1" hole? I'm not familiar with anything this size. As far as that goes, what about dado sets? Thanks. Greg

1 inch arbors are pretty much standard for 12" blades the dado will cost significantly more than a ten inch.

Having more tools than I know how to use - Priceless!!!

If it is 3 phase and nobody has in interest in it then try to get it a little lower and put a VFD on it. I put one on a power feeder last year and it was super easy. I would do it again if I had to.

I don't get it. Why on earth would someone want to put a VFD on any kind of circular saw, (Table, RAS, miter, etc) then want to control the RPMs?
    I want that blade going at speed. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I can understand the braking part of it, but adjusting the rpm? Nope.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I don't get it. Why on earth would someone want to put a VFD on any kind of circular saw, (Table, RAS, miter, etc) then want to control the RPMs?
    I want that blade going at speed. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I can understand the braking part of it, but adjusting the rpm? Nope.
    I used to run my TS at 3450 rpm, but ... now that I run it at 3425 ... life is infinitely better.

He's no fun. He fell right over !