Thread: Planer Swap - I am thinking doing this might be advantageous.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Planer Swap - I am thinking doing this might be advantageous.

I have a chance to swap my ridgid tp1300 13" planer for a like new 15" reliant dd37 planer with 2 spare sets of blade on a mobile base, with a 2 hp grizzly dust collector. Both pieces are about 14 years old. The gentleman wants a lunchbox planer because he does not have the room to keep the larger equipment. I know the LB planer is said to leave a better finish, but I like the idea of more capacity, plus with the amount of rough maple I plane, I spend ALOT of time thicknessing, because the Ridgid lacks the power to do much more than a 1/32 - 1\16 of an inch cut. Do any of you A. Have one of these reliants B. Happen to have a scanned manual for one? I know that sometimes reliant products get a bad rap, but I have seen it posted in various places that these are made in the same factory a some other popular brands, and it might be an affordable way for me to step it up, and get more capacity and save some time.
    Last edited by Tim Cottle; 02-26-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Needed to spell "advantageous" correctly.