Thread: Planer Swap - I am thinking doing this might be advantageous.

Planer Swap - I am thinking doing this might be advantageous.

I have a chance to swap my ridgid tp1300 13" planer for a like new 15" reliant dd37 planer with 2 spare sets of blade on a mobile base, with a 2 hp grizzly dust collector. Both pieces are about 14 years old. The gentleman wants a lunchbox planer because he does not have the room to keep the larger equipment. I know the LB planer is said to leave a better finish, but I like the idea of more capacity, plus with the amount of rough maple I plane, I spend ALOT of time thicknessing, because the Ridgid lacks the power to do much more than a 1/32 - 1\16 of an inch cut. Do any of you A. Have one of these reliants B. Happen to have a scanned manual for one? I know that sometimes reliant products get a bad rap, but I have seen it posted in various places that these are made in the same factory a some other popular brands, and it might be an affordable way for me to step it up, and get more capacity and save some time.
    Last edited by Tim Cottle; 02-26-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Needed to spell "advantageous" correctly.

The Jet looks identical, except for the closed stand. This should help. After you hear how much quieter these stationary planers are, you'll never regret changing over.

I can't speak for the Reliant, but the Jet looks identical to my Bridgewood. I made a similar deal for my BW, traded a guy for my Dewalt lunchbox for the same reasons. It worked out great for the both of us.
    If you process a lot of rough sawn stock you won't regret it. I don't know about the Jet or Reliant, but mt BW screams like an air raid siren, no quieter than the Dewalt, but still a worthwile trade.
    Hope this helps,
    Paul

Thanks, I think it is going to be a smart decision. I do have a 10" Yager/K2000 planer, which I am thinking about gearing down finish cuts on narrower pieces. Thanks for the link to the manual, I am going to tear it all the way down, and clean + lubricate it along with taking pics so I do not forget where things go/have a reference for others, and it will be helpful to match up parts.

I wouldn't do it, I have the Ridgid planer and it is a very nice little planer. I really don't think you need a larger one.....

If you will give me the name and number of the guy that want to swap I can call him and tell him you don't want to do it.

I also think this deserves a YOU SUCK !!!!

The castings are the same as many Asian planers so the main difference will be the motor and bearings. If it runs well you are golden. I would replace the bearings as 15 years is about their life even if unused. I like a little better precision than comes in todays machines but they are still cheap. Dave

Sounds like a good deal for all involved!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.