Thread: Porter-Cable 0891 2-1/4 HP GripVac Router

Porter-Cable 0891 2-1/4 HP GripVac Router

This is interesting. I wonder if the the D handle dust control works, but I am more interested in peoples experience with this motor. It is soft-start and electronically controlled. I have no hands on experience with this technology. I have a 1/2" router that just bit the dust rather dramatically. Something just went out. I think bearings, but the bit started gyrating and creating enough momentum that it was all I could do to hold on and switch it off. After a chain saw I now vote 2hp routers and among the most dangerous tools I own.

That said this Porter Cable 0891 looks interesting and I would like to know if this auto sensing electronically controlled technology is ready for prime time. I need to replace a 1/2" router and this seems a good choice for a hand held, never gonna see the bottom of a router table, option.

I have the 891 w/ gripvac handle. The dust collection works better than I expected (had low expections) when the opening in the base is completely covered such as when routing dados. Chip collection when doing edge work is not as good. The 89x motors are taller than the 690 series so being top heavy is a concern though the grip vac handle helps a little I think. As far as durablity goes, I haven't had a problem yet but most of my router use in in-table. I did have the variable speed go out on a discontinued 8529 and there were/are no replacement modules available. I removed the module, wired it straight through and use an external speed control if I want variable speed.

I'm concerned about the continuing availablity of the Porter-Cable 89X routers as long as the same company owns both Porter-Cable and DeWalt. DeWalt routers are usually priced considerably lower so presumably outsell the newer Porter-Cable routers. Combined with the fact that the Porter-Cable brand seems to be repositioned as more of a 'consumer' brand I wonder if there'll be a new line of P-C routers comparable to Ryobi or Skil and the 'more expensive' models that don't sell well will be discontinued. This is purely speculation on my part based on what has happened with Porter-Cable since the B & D purchase.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-04-2012 at 8:29 AM.

Soft start is hardly new. I have a 20 yr old DeWalt 625 (ELU, made in Switzerland) router with soft start and variable speed that has been worked hard and it still functions as new. As for what's available today, my opinion is that the Bosch 1617 or 1618 are the top of the heap and the PC is very close to the bottom.

As for your existing router, I'd bet on a bent bit based on the symptoms described. A failed bearing usually makes quite a reacket long before it disintigrates.

I also have a 89x, great product while it is somewhat top heavy (not a concern when in a table) it is easily managable. VS/SS works very well. Vac handle works better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hundley View Post
    I also have a 89x, great product while it is somewhat top heavy (not a concern when in a table) it is easily managable. VS/SS works very well. Vac handle works better than expected.
    Bruce,
    +1, I like the SS and the router motor seems to have plenty of power. I routed 5 raised panels in rock maple doing two passes with a 3-1/2" panel bit. Probably not what it was intended to do, but it handled the job very well. It did get quite hot, but it did not let any smoke out. After it cooled, it still ran fine. If I understand correctly, the 7518 gets quite hot as well. It is top heavy, but not an issue when fully supported. The height adjustment is great.

I would hate to see PC go the route Curt mentioned. I was in Lowe's yesterday and I saw a lot of PC stuff, BS, DP, combo sander, hand held drills. However, the PC tools did look very good and definitely better built than some of the other options they had. The combo sander was definitely not the cheapest of the bunch and it had a cast base. Delta had the shopmaster line, and I wonder if PC is intended to fill this niche. The PC tools looked much better than the Delta shopmaster line IMO. Maybe Delta is going to be the pro/serious hobbiest version and PC is going to be the DIY version? Sorry for getting off track.
    Mike