View Poll Results: Which combo Euro J/P and Bandsaw to get

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hammer A3-31 with Hammer N4400 Bandsaw (12.6" resaw, 4hp)

15 36.59%
  • MiniMax FS-30 Smart with MM-16 Bandsaw

9 21.95%
  • Hammer A3-31 with MM-16 Bandsaw (who cares about combined shipping)

7 17.07%
  • Hammer A3-31 w/ other bandsaw (Laguna, Agazzaggi, etc)

7 17.07%
  • MiniMax FS-30 with other Bandsaw (MM-20, Agazaggi, etc)

3 7.32%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advise on choosing a J/P combo - Hammer A3-31 or a MiniMax FS30 Smart

I am surprised at the price of N4400 as it's around $2200 here in Canada and things are always (well, almost always) cheaper down there in US.
    You can get a MM16 here for $2900 and I would be surprised if it is more expensive in US. At that price I'd get the MM16 for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles B Thomas View Post
    I think I would be happy with the Hammers, but broaden my looking to include a 5-in-1 combo (CU-300 Smart). Since I am planning on getting a SawStop soon, still only have 1.5hp router-table but do extensive router/ pattern cutting and work in 1 car bay mostly by myself the jump to a big machine makes some sense.
    The space savings I think is worth the switch-over inconvience.
    I've seen used Felder 731 Pro machines in the $10k-$13k range in mint condition. This is just a little more than a new Euro J/P + Sawstop. IMO, given your overall shopping list I'd look @ used combo machines.

[QUOTE=The quote I recently got was 2999.00 for the N4400 ($200 off list) + accessories.

I mis-typed and mreza is correct; the price quoted was 1999.00.

Maybe I don't know where to look, but I haven't found any used machines within 4 states of CO (both J/Ps and 5-in-1s); Seems like they sell quickly, be it Felder or Minimax. Makes me think if I do splurge on a combo and end up not liking it there is oportunity to sell it used (new$ - used$ = rental$)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles B Thomas View Post
    Maybe I don't know where to look, but I haven't found any used machines within 4 states of CO (both J/Ps and 5-in-1s); Seems like they sell quickly, be it Felder or Minimax. Makes me think if I do splurge on a combo and end up not liking it there is oportunity to sell it used (new$ - used$ = rental$)
    Here's one for sale in AZ: http://macsblogboard.blogspot.com/p/used-machines.html

There are frequent listings on the Felder Yahoo! Groups message board (covers more than Felder).

6. Quote Originally Posted by Charles B Thomas View Post
    Hey Brian, I asked the sales rep about the sanding attachment and sanding belts; he did not know anything about them - even after I showed him where in the video to see it. After he did some looking it sounds like the sanding attachemnt is not available through Hammer-USA (or on US versions of the 4400); still not sure if he can get sanding belts for the N4400. The circle cutting jig is different from the sanding jig and requires the ext. tables and table mounting rails. I think most of us would make our own jig - their design is kind-a clever.
    Yeah, It's tough to justify as well when you can get a Grizzly 1" belt sander for as as little as $100. Thanks for the info!

FYI, to let you know how my thinking has changed, I started this poll/thread heavily in favor of both the Hammer units. Since talking with Eric @ MM, rethinking the need for a Byrd head and re-evaluating I'm now leaning much more toward MM for a J/P. The only think I don't like in the MM is the taller table (33ish vs 35 for FS-30), and how you adjust the fence and euro-guard to flip the tables.
    I always favored the MM-16 (actually a bigger monster than I really need), I think the N4400 would be just fine save a couple fine points - the fence can't be used right of the blade (important to me when the tables are tilted 45) and doesn't have drift adjustment (Hammer suggests one can loosen and shim the rails). Dust extraction is another.
    I think I would be happy with the Hammers, but broaden my looking to include a 5-in-1 combo (CU-300 Smart). Since I am planning on getting a SawStop soon, still only have 1.5hp router-table but do extensive router/ pattern cutting and work in 1 car bay mostly by myself the jump to a big machine makes some sense.
    The space savings I think is worth the switch-over inconvience.
    I looked into the Hammer 5-in-1, the CU 31. The biggest downside from watching them use it in the video is that your constantly spinning the thing around to make use of all its functions. I figured I'd rather have the A3 31 and the b3 winner and have a faster setup for same or even less money.

I did get a phone call from the rep today, he said he's sending over pricing. Right now their website shows 2k for the n4400 and 3k for the A3 31. I imagine to see that same pricing. Maybe they'll throw in an extension table or something.

Whats the FS-30 priced at? $4k?

Hey Charles,

Not sure which office your dealing with, but i was offered $300 off list right off the bat by the east cost office. They were a real pleasure to work with and i will be doing business with them in the near future. Jesse was great.

I just got my N4400 home on Sunday after the woodworking show and i have been really impressed. I Put a plug on it and off she went! I only had the 3/4" blade they threw in, but i resawed 1/8" hard maple and it cut just as fast as i could feed the saw. That 4hp motor has tons of power. The fence i am on the fence about. I noticed virtually no drift do the lack of a simple drift adjustment isnt bothering me too much. I had planned on ordering the driftmaster for it, but with how accurate the standard fence has been so far i will probably hold off on that for a while. I did order a resaw king blade for it though.

The only thing that threw me was the keyed doors. I wasnt expecting them as they arent in any of he pics or imfo from Hammer. Not a big deal, im more afraid Ill lose that key! All in all i am really happy about the purchase. Great machine for the price.

Nice band saw Chris.

Many safety standards require a door that's opened with a tool, limiting access to authorised operators. This will become more common in North America as safety standards become more uniform.

Enjoy your saw...............Rod.

Chris, glad you got the saw! I do want to see some pictures!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

10. Laguna has a the Robland NLX31 combo machine for $5500:
    http://www.lagunatools.com/monthly-s...nation-Machine

List on the FS30 is really $4,295. Cut and pasted the wrong price.
    Last edited by Charles B Thomas; 03-08-2012 at 1:06 PM. Reason: quoted wrong list price on machine.

Here's few pics of the N4400 in case anyone is interested. If anyone wants detailed pics, since the information Hammer has out there doesnt seem to be up to date just let me know.

So far Im enjoying the saw. Fit and finish are real nice. All the castings are clean and what I would expect from a machine like this. I discovered last night that the fence can be used on both sides of the blade so that was a nice find even though there isnt much room on the table to the right of the blade. Once i get the resaw king i will run some bigger wood through it to see how it handles, but everything to date has been fantastic. Excuse the mess - I'm waiting for a new shed to get my shop free of yard junk!

Hammer1.jpgHammer2.jpgHammer3.jpgHammer4.jpghammer5.jpg

Yea Chris, let's see some pictures. That would be awesome. I would like to see what it looks like underneath the tables (above the foot-brake). And how about that foot-brake, how is that working. And what do you think of the dust collection? Inquiring sawyers want to know.

Greg, thanks for the link; that's one fantastic offer - if I can convince myself that would fit into my garage (it won't! ) I'm giving that guy a call.

I'Hey Charles,

I'll take a few pics of the underside of the tonight when I get home. My biggest satisfaction was the build of the saw. Everything is clean and well made. I have had experiences with cheap and expensive saws that often had poor casting and quality issues. Its nice to see everything the way I expected it to be. The foot brake workes great. The foot brake is connected to a micro switch that cuts the power to the motor when you step on it and then has a friction brake that stops the wheel. Brings the blade to a nice quick stop. Dust collection as with most bandsaw is pretty poor. the only port is at the bottom of the saw behind the foot brake. It picks up the dust that falls below the table for the most part, but I have to figure out how to get something closer to the table or above the table to catch more of the dust.