Thread: Bench Dog or Master Lift II

Bench Dog or Master Lift II

Hey guys,

I am in middle of building my "table saw workstation". I decided on and already bought the Bench Dog Cast Iron Table Saw Extension router table. It will be going on the right hand side of my saw.

I also purchased the Bench Dog lift, but i am second guessing my decision on the lift. I dont care for the plastic inserts all that much. I am sure they would work fine but i like the INCRA plates on the Master Lift II better (though i have not seen them in person).

Router is a porter cable 7518.

Whats your opinions? Should i keep the bench dog or go for the masterlift II?

I really cannot comment on the Bench Dog, I have the Jessem Master Lift II. The difference in the Jessem and the Incra is the Incra has the metal inserts, the Jessem has the plastic.

I have had no problem with the plastic inserts, I got some blank inserts and have drilled them for zero clearance for some of my bits. I do like how easy the plastic ones go in and out, just turn them and they come right out. That may not sound like much but every time you change the bit you have to remove the insert for above the table changing.

The Incra are magnetic and also pop out very easy. I guess bottom line is I kind if like the plastic, no chance of screwing up a bit, gettig bent or marking the wood.

I am sure you would be happy with the Bench Dog, Incra or the Jessem.

I have a bench dog router plate, a Jessem Master Lift II, and a Incra router plate. I like the bench dog plate but hate it for the screws ring inserts. The Master Lift II is nice but the ring inserts are plastic and require the wrench. I like Incra the best because of the magnetic ring inserts and the Mastr Lift II all in one package. Rockler has the Incra Mastr Lift II for 300 bucks right now.

Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nguyen View Post
    I have a bench dog router plate, a Jessem Master Lift II, and a Incra router plate. I like the bench dog plate but hate it for the screws ring inserts. The Master Lift II is nice but the ring inserts are plastic and require the wrench. I like Incra the best because of the magnetic ring inserts and the Mastr Lift II all in one package. Rockler has the Incra Mastr Lift II for 300 bucks right now.
    PLEASE NOTE!!

If you get the Incra Master Lift 2 from Rockler; they will not fit in an INCRA Table. Make sure you check the dimensions of the plate, and the dimensions of the table top you get. The Incra Master lift u buy from Rockler fits in their Rockler Tables, and I believe Benchdog tables.

If u want an incra table, then u gotta buy from incra.com

Yes Yes Yes. Adrian is right. I forgot about Rockler's Incra lift is the same size as the bech dog plates or lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
    PLEASE NOTE!!

If you get the Incra Master Lift 2 from Rockler; they will not fit in an INCRA Table. Make sure you check the dimensions of the plate, and the dimensions of the table top you get. The Incra Master lift u buy from Rockler fits in their Rockler Tables, and I believe Benchdog tables.

If u want an incra table, then u gotta buy from incra.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nguyen View Post
    Yes Yes Yes. Adrian is right. I forgot about Rockler's Incra lift is the same size as the bech dog plates or lifts.
    Thanks for the heads up guys, but I already bought and decided on the bench dog cast iron table. So i actually need the Funky Bench Dog Plate size. Just trying to decide which of the 2 lifts will suite me better.

I have a BD lift, mine has steel rings. I have not looked at the newer ones with plastic rings. My only concern is that they sit flush with the top of the lift? If so I see no reason why plastic is a problem. My lift has been a joy to use and stays put. Very happy with it.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I have a BD lift, mine has steel rings. I have not looked at the newer ones with plastic rings. My only concern is that they sit flush with the top of the lift? If so I see no reason why plastic is a problem. My lift has been a joy to use and stays put. Very happy with it.
    Jeff,

Do you find it it a pain to have to unscrew the 3 screws on the plate to change the bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dyer View Post
    Jeff,

Do you find it it a pain to have to unscrew the 3 screws on the plate to change the bit?
    Mine has 2 screws to hold the rings in. I seldom use them, the rings are recessed into the plate, and my fence is always above the ring (unless freehand or pattern routing, in this case I use the screws). I have 3 different size rings, I leveled all of them when they were new, made a reference mark at 12 o'clock on each ring so I know where to rotate it to. They never move and I seldom use the screws.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.