Thread: Making curl pop LESS

Unhappy Making curl pop LESS

So, my wife wanted a new bed frame and asked me to make one. We looked at some designs and sample species I had on hand. She picked some nice tiger maple Ive been saving and I even planed an off cut and hit it with a little BLO so she would have an idea of the final product.

This weekend I finished the prep on everything and cut all of the M&T etc. This morning I sent her and email with images of completed tiger maple projects as finishing options.

This was her response: "Yeah, I’m just not really sold on that curl. If there’s a way to diminish that a bit, I’d prefer it."

What was your finishing regimen before?

warning: I'm not a pro, but this has worked for me on birch to minimize blotch:

To diminish the curl, I would sand it to a super fine grit (between 400 and 600). Then I would use a very pale shellac - like Platina which is practically clear. These 2 things will help seal and even things out. If you are planning to use any color, I would then use a gel stain or tone the shellac after several thin coats have been applied

Choose another wood and save the good stuff for curly projects

Thanks Prashun. I should have prefaced my post with "This is a bit of a venting"/make sure that your "customer" knows what the finished material will look like. I really don't want to hide the curl in this wood; what a waste. Ill most likely put it back on the racks for another project and mill from regular maple for the bed.

My 1st response was the same as Ted's. However, since you had already cut everything, I thought u were too far gone.

I've been there many times. I've had many the battle to avoid 'espresso' coloring every other thing I made the first couple years for SWMBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Peluso View Post
    Thanks Prashun. I should have prefaced my post with "This is a bit of a venting"/make sure that your "customer" knows what the finished material will look like. I really don't want to hide the curl in this wood; what a waste. Ill most likely put it back on the racks for another project and mill from regular maple for the bed.
    Sounds like the better solution even if you loose a bit of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Peluso View Post
    "Yeah, I’m just not really sold on that curl. If there’s a way to diminish that a bit, I’d prefer it."
    My advice - keep the cutie in your avatar and divorce the other woman in your life on the grounds of blasphemy.

Good luck.

Too funny Phil! Perhaps Ken can show some pictures around at the office and see which of the ladies likes the curl...