Thread: Rotary Attachment question

Rotary Attachment question

Is there a special rotary attachment used to engrave pens or is the standard attachment used. The person who I use to engeave my pens says she has problems
    engraving around the circumference of the pen because the attachment she has is more for glasses or goblets.

Bobby McCarley

That can be a true statement I know on my Epilog I can do drum sticks but never have done a pen to the point I had to rotate it normally just doing names not an issue.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Do you know what brand of laser she has? There are 4 different types of rotary's that I have seen and some would be better for doing pens then others but with a proper jig I don't see why pens couldn't be done in all styles of them.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Blog Entries
    Your engraver needs to set up a jig to make the tool work for her, not the other way around. I had difficulty with small items on first glance, but with proper setup and jigs, it's easy peasy.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Your engraver needs to set up a jig to make the tool work for her, not the other way around. I had difficulty with small items on first glance, but with proper setup and jigs, it's easy peasy.
    Bobby,

Dan is spot on, jigs to hold the pieces are a necessity. However, I'd also like to share a piece of advice that I've learned the hard way. Use manual focus and remember to lower the table BEFORE you turn off your machine (If you're using an Epilog). If not you run the risk of the lens head crashing into your jig. The Epilog sends the head back to upper left hand corner directly. When the rotary attachment is in the machine and you're focusing down to do a thin project the head may not clear the attachment when it attempts to go back to "Home" position creating a HOLY CRAP moment :-)

Good luck

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Woodson; 03-01-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    Scott Woodson
    EPILOG 45 Watt Mini
    CorelSuite X5, Photograv 3.0, BoxIT Suite
    WoodWrite mini lathe, Shopsmith Mark V (1980), Hegner 18" scrollsaw
    Ricoh GXe 7700N sublimation printer
    DC16 Digital Combo Heat Press
    CAMEO Silhouette 12" vinyl cutter

0pinion

These are some pictures of the rotary attachment that my engraver has and pictures of a jig that I turned hoping that she could put the logo that I have an order for on some pens.
    I would appreciate any comments yay or nay on if it may work or not.

Joe, she has a Universal M-300
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bobby,

You need to do a search for posts by Chuck Stone. He is a master at the type of work you want done and has generously given lots of advice to engravers here.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I have the rotary setup on the right and have done plenty of pens (and rings) on mine. First of all, I turned the base of the cone off so that my laser head wouldn't hit it, then I made a cylindrical metal piece that exactly fits in the hole. I did O ring grooves on the part and added the O rings to add some friction when it was inserted into the cone's hole. Out of the metal piece is a 1/4"-20 threaded rod sticking out. The pen is pulled apart, and the brass tubes fit on the shaft perfectly with enough friction to rotate the pen with the axis. Only half the pen is done at once in this process, but I was doing it before they were assembled. No tailstock is needed. For my rings, I use the same setup, but use a nut turned into a cone shape to trap it in place. I always know where zero is for my designs.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

I have that exact same machine and rotary. Here are some pictures of jigs that I cut out of 1/4 inch plywood using the laser to hold odd shaped objects.Jigs.jpg

The center circle is a snug fit into the hole in the head of the rotary, to align everything when cutting out the parts on the laser I also cut a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the disks so when I glue them together I can put a dowel through the center hole.

Using this method it only takes about 10 minutes to design, cut and glue a jig to do items that won't fit otherwise.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Thanks for all of the help. it is greatly appreciated.

Bobby
    Louisiana