Thread: LED's for edge lighting

LED's for edge lighting

Can anyone point me in the direction to find LED's for edge lighting engraved glass and plexiglass?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Joe,
    I have been using these http://www.lumenedge.com/home.htm . If you call them ask for Raymond. They have what you need to edge light 1/4 acrylic and he will also make you up what you need. They have them with the strips or 3m tape on the back. They have power supplies and you can get them already wired and ready to plug in.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I too have used Lumenedge with good results. The only complaint I had was they were a little slow to ship. If you want them quickly you may want to call and let them know that when you order.
    Epilog Helix 60 watt
    Corel Draw x5
    Rotary Attachment
    Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy L Taylor View Post
    I too have used Lumenedge with good results. The only complaint I had was they were a little slow to ship. If you want them quickly you may want to call and let them know that when you order.
    They make up a good bit of stuff to order, subsequently that can be a little slow. I ran into that around Xmas but they had a lot of orders at the time. Products and time has been good since. They ship by USPS and believe it or not I can get pkgs from them in 2 days, they are in Ca. and I am in Alabama.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Try Outwater.com
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

Not to steal the thread, but what type of acrylic makes good edge lit signs and is easy to engrave/cut - cast or extruded - is the Plexiglas brand OK to use?

Thanks, Pete
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

From everything I have read here and with my limited trials so far on my newly acquired laser machine, cast acrylic is going to be the way to go for an edge lit LED sign because of the frosted look you get on cast acrylic that you won't get on extruded. I hear extruded is better for vector cutting though? I guess as long as it is cast acrylic then the brand shouldn't matter all that much but, I'll leave that to the much more experienced on here.
    Last edited by Dan Simone; 03-01-2012 at 4:41 PM.

if I'm looking for the frosted look, I use a small pen eraser (harbor freight)
    I use the laser to vector the paper or plastic covering, leaving myself
    a mask. The eraser is like a small airbrush that spits out 220 grit instead
    of paint. Weed and blast. That way I can still use the extruded stuff, which
    is mostly what I find in the scrap bin for $.50/lb ..

Chuck, can you provide a link or name brand to the "pen eraser"? I went to HF's website and searched for pen eraser and nothing came up.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Thanks guys!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw