Thread: Watts Up?

Question Watts Up?

Okay guys and gals so far this forum has been very helpful as far as adivice goes so here IT goes.

I Live in Alaska and i am looking into getting an Epilog Zing 16 yes this will be my first and yes i will be starting a home business so i guess my first question is what is a good device out there that i can plug my Laser Fan and air pump into that will log my Kwh usage so i can pay for what i am using since my roommates were concerned when i told them about my future plans it does no have to have anything special just something that will tell me how many kwh i used in that day or week or month.

Question 2 is of all of you out there and the ones paying attention how much in utilities does it roughly cost you to run your laser throughout the day i know it depends on what your doing but give me a rough estimate if you could.

And question 3 is how many of you own this model and do you have any regrets or advice?

Thanks a bunch folks and i look forward to your input!!! -----Jared G.

Blog Entries
    Check out the P3 Kill-A-Watt... plug your strip into that. You may need more than one as it only supports up to 15A and you'll likely be on the edge of that from time to time (I also don't like plugging pumps/motors into the same circuit as my laser and computer).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have one of those, and I think it was $19 at Amazon. Unless you are running 8-10 hours a day I think you will
    find that you don't add all that much to the electric bill.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Being as you live in Alaska (cold im thinking) you should tell your roomies that pretty much all the power you use is going back into the room to heat it so they should be paying you
    Cant see it being much power on a zing, post your results up when you find out, On epilogs web site (uk) they recomend a 15amp socket which is masive over kill as we have 220v and a max 13a ratting on our wall sockets. They should really change that on their data sheet to 7amps on 220v
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

I can tell you that running one zing won't cost you much to run daily. I run 2- 60w and 2 -25w epillogs, 3 blowers and 2 small compressors 10-14 hrs a day and the cost is around $10.00 a day. According to my electric bill versus days the machines don't run, weekends mostly.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

If I were your room mate in Alaska, I'd be a little upset with you in the winter months, when you're sucking all the heat out of the room and blowing it outdoors
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have noticed that my electric bill has only risen about $10 a month and I use my laserabout 20-30 hours a week, the laser barely uses any electric, it is the exhaust blower and the air compressor that use the electric but even they aren't too bad.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Question cool

Ya I did see the kill a Watt and Watts up they seem to be the choice out there. Also my closest distributor recommended a fan that was from Penn state industries and was 1.5 HP and 800 or so cfm is there a better mate for this laser that you could suggest there does not seem to be much on blowers out there thanks!

Blog Entries
    I would suggest the Harbor Freight "greenie"... $120 (less when sales are happening), plenty powerful for what you're doing.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

We run the Harbor Freight one HP dust collector on our Trotec Speedy 300 at CNU, it has more airflow then you need.