Thread: Abranet sanding tips?

Abranet sanding tips?

I picked up an assortment pack of the 2-3/4" x 8" Abranet sheets the other day. It has 1 each of the P80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600 grits.

Any tips on using them? Lathe speed? How to best use on dry or wet wood? Use on finishes? Any and everything you want to shoot my way will be greatly appreciated.

I'd prefer not to ruin them due to ignorance like I did some Micro Mesh awhile back.

Thanks,
    Glenn

Blog Entries
    I always try to sand under 200rpms but keep us updated on how it works and how long it lasts. I've been using micromesh for my finer finishes and had pretty good luck but I have to use wet/dry up to 600 first.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

The first thing you need to do is cut each 8" strip in half to double the number of pieces and make them a more usable size. Other than that, you can use them just like any other sandpaper except that it will not load up on you. Great stuff!

Greg

I cut the the strips down in size, sand at 200 to 300 rpm and very seldom use it on green wood. Nice stuff.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Abranet is pricey but really good stuff.

My only tip would be to write the grit on the back of the paper with a sharpie. After a few uses, the original grit markings will be hard to read. The paper lasts a long long time.

There is a sanding pad available that has a vacuum hose attachment. (For -gasp- flatwork) It makes for dustless sanding. I still can't handle dustless sanding though. It gives me the creeps. It's just plain wrong to not make dust when sanding. The pad does not work on bowls.

Thanks for the tips.

Glenn

I use it, but i only use 240 to 600. I use them for wet and dry sanding. Bought some about two years ago and still have some that i did not use yet. Would have a lot more left but i think i sucked them up into the DC, can`t find em, they were on my lathe bench.. Carl