Thread: Poplar vase, and a photography experiment

Poplar vase, and a photography experiment

At the beginning of the year, SWMBO came to me and said my hobby was occupying too much space in the garage. She showed me boxes of unfinished stuff I had started, and lost interest in, or didn't know how to complete. My new years turning resolution this year was to finish or toss a bunch of unfinished projects I had started; some of them 3 + years old. Some of these are very plain and simple, but I just wanted them off my brain and out of SWMBO's sight.

This one is a simple vase made from a piece of curly, almost quilted poplar. It was intended to have a 3/4' test tube inserted in the center for a flower. In the 3 years it took to finish, CSUSA discontinued the test tubes, so I need to find something else to put inside. It is finished with tung oil finish, and buffed.

_MG_7304.jpg_MG_7311.jpg

I really hate the bright reflections of the lights on pictures of really glossy turnings, and have been working on a way to eliminate them. I have used this technique for 25 years on two dimensional paintings with great success. I tried a modified version a few years ago on 3 dimensional stuff, with poor results. So I thought I would try again. The results are somewhat better this time, but still not great. I gotta keep working on it. I just don't have a lot of time. This works better on tall cylindrical items like this vase and the S & P shakers I put in a recent post. the more bulbous stuff not so good. Just too many angle changes. I suppose if I had paid more attention in physics class, I might be able to figure this out. But I didn't, and I can't .... yet. I'll keep working on it, but here are some samples of before and after.

_MG_7301.jpg_MG_7300.jpg_MG_7362.jpg_MG_7364.jpg

Let me know if you think this is worth investing more time or not

Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

very nice, i like the poplar

I like the second picture of each. Ok, so what is the technique you referred to?
    God is great and life is good!

Nice pieces and good job on the photography. I like that you reduced but not eliminated hot spots. A slight gleam to let folks know it's gloss without large hotspots is really nice.

Really nice vase. Glad you breathed life into that forgotten piece. I do like the "after" pics