Thread: Use an open flame to dry wood?

Use an open flame to dry wood?

I was watching Jimmy Clewes "Turnaround" video and he sprayed an accelerant on the piece he was turning and lit it to dry out the wood. I couldn't understand what accelerant he was using. Anyone else use this technique?

I can't imagine this to be a good technique. It seems like it would only dry just the top layer of the wood, doing nothing to prevent warping. Not to mention that drying wood too quickly is a sure fire way to get it to split.

Sorry I can't help with any info...but proceed with caution.

unless the fluid soak into the wood , the burn will only dry the very top surface

I believe Jimmy uses this technique to flash dry the surface. He also does it to remove fuss.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

It's denatured alcohol, and he uses it to raise the grain before applying dye. I've actually done it a time or two just for kicks, but it doesn't really speed the drying all that much… I prefer to just let it evaporate naturally.

I watch Jimmy at a demo and it is not to dry the wood. He uses it like David said to raise the grain and then when he applies dye he sprays it with DNA and use a flame to flash it off. Also watched Cindy Drozda do this. She said she got it from Jimmy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

+1 what other's said about raising grain. It also helps for finish sanding of wet wood. It raises the grain and dries just the surface. Dry raised grain will sand out nicely.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Roy, you have way too nice a shop to be trying something like this!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Thanks for the advice. I won't be trying it any time soon.