Thread: My first Urn...

My first Urn...

A friend in church was telling me about how his two pit bulls mean so much to him. One of them, 80 pound 'Keelo,' had to be put down due to cancer. As misfortune would have it, that took place on the day of the friend having major surgery. That was a tough visit on the morning of his surgery, that, and the fact I've got two faithful dogs myself, one of them a pit/beagle mix. So, when he told me he was having Keelo cremated, I asked him if I could make an urn for him. We laid him to rest yesterday. Here's what I came up with - a piece of black walnut, the walls are about 1/8" to 3/16" thick, about 5" wide by 3 1/2" tall with just a few coats of spray can lacquer, waxed and buffed. It held the ashes just fine with just a little - and I mean a little - bit of room to spare. Sealed shut with CA.

P3030021.jpgP3030022.jpgP3030026.jpg

An attractive piece but an even finer gesture for you friends friend.

Intriguing form! That is a good looking urn, and I am sure it will be treasured for a long time to come.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Steve, the form is quite different, but I like it! Very clean and well done. I am sure your friend appreciates your kind efforts.

beautiful vessel. & a grand tribute to a loving dog.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Definitely a great project kindness.
    C&C WELCOME

A beautiful urn and an equally beautiful gesture. Good job!

8. Fine form and a fine gesture, Steve............that is real nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I love the vessel form for his pet; and especially appreciate your compassion in his loss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Danny Hines
    Greenville, NC

I like the form and was a great gesture.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve - that is some nice work! Really like how you managed to keep the grain aligned with the top. Your friend had to have been well pleased with your gift!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

It looks great!

What a kind thoughtful gesture on your behalf, I'm glad to have heard the story behind the piece, but not glad the story happened. Hope your friend recovers from his loss, and his surgery. I like the piece too, good shape, and a lid that won't come loose.

Very nicely done from an equally nice person.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."