Thread: Spalted Birds-eye with Stem

Spalted Birds-eye with Stem

This is a small piece of birdseye maple on a dyed stem and birdseye base. I think the base is a bit small, but it has not fallen over yet, so I got that going for me. Overall it's 10" tall just under 3" diam. The egg form is approx .0938, give or take. Finished with BLO and shellac. Then rubbed out with steelwool and oil. Can't decide it I want to add a finial or not.

Thanks for looking. C&C appreciated

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good so far - but, I vote yes for a finial. It cries out for something to "finish" the theme. I would suggest you pick up on some of the sharp edged protrusions from the pedestal. I think the base looks proportionate, but until the finial is done, it is difficult to tell what the overall look will be.

Count me in on the vote "yes" for the finial. Believe it would make the piece more finished if that is a term.

A great piece you have going there. Does need a tall finial to call if finished. Maybe something dark to match up with that cool stem!

Looks great but is in need of a finial to give it that finished look. Yes is my vote.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looking good so far! I agree with adding a finial. Needs something to complete the curve.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Well I guess that's that, unanimous vote. I need to make a finial. Its going to have to wait until the new (to me) lathe is set up. (stealth gloat, pic to come later).

Yup. +1 for a finial. I really like the low luster finish on the stem. Gives is a bit of a tactile, soft, inviting look!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

yep, finial..good work so far..great egg
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe