Thread: Restoring a Stanley Bailey classic handplane, type 13, those old threadforms?..

Restoring a Stanley Bailey classic handplane, type 13, those old threadforms?..

Know of anyone who has restored vintage planes to the extent of having acquired a set of cutting tools to chase those somewhat "unconventional" Bailey threadforms now considered obsolete in our modern era? For a Stanley Bailey No. 4, type 13, produced 1925-1928, I’m looking to rent some taps and die nuts for about a week just to clean and freshen or "chase" threaded holes and fasteners prior to assembly...

We’re talking:

#12-20 bottoming tap & die nut
    9/32"-24 bottoming tap & die nut
    1/4"-24 bottoming tap & die nut
    Left Hand 9/32"-24 die nut and perhaps a plain old screw for the brass thumb wheel.

For those unconventional #14-20 slot head screws fastening frog to sole, figured I’d just blind tap that pair out to 1/4"-20 UNC and install sturdier ¼-20 x 5/8" socket head cap screws at that usually hidden location.

Suggest a source for patterns for cutting the tote shape? I’ll likely replace the broken original tote with one crafted from some nicely figured "Bolivian Rosewood" (Morado). The original lever cap shows no residual signs of the original Nickel plate. I’ll see how good I can get that surface finish and possibly entertain the idea of a metallic coating or baked powder coat. How well would plain oven-cured spray enamel likely last on this component? It will likely need a new iron also. Anyone have any experience with a 2.0" x 7" plane iron produced in some figured Damascus clad steel? The original iron (slightly bent) is imprinted STANLEY within the notched rectangle, SW enclosed within a heart beneath, followed by "MADE IN USA". Do we know what type and temper steel alloy was used and does it likely also date from 1925-1928?

Came across this Stanley Bailey smoothing plane in a junk bucket originating from the in-laws "archives". It was originally owned by grandfather William who built more than eight homes that we know of in the Brunswick area of New Jersey during the 30’s through the early 50’s. Most of those homes are still owned by family members. The classic smoothing plane suffered a lot of neglect during two generations arising from eleven original offspring with apparently not a soul inclined to any craftsmanship with their hands. So there’s a bit of history and sentiment behind this long suffering vintage hand tool…

I can't answer your other questions, but there are tote patterns available here: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=63262

Stanley has some replacement parts: http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/

St. James Bay has some, too, and a #12-20 tap and die set: http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/stanley.html

I thought Lee Valley had some patterns for totes, but I can't find them. You might contact them; very responsive company.

Blog Entries
    Morey,

Welcome to the cave by the Creek. Your profile doesn't show what part of the world you currently call home.

You may live close to another Creeker who can help fulfill your needs.

Are some of the threads stripped?

#12-20 bottoming tap & die nut
    9/32"-24 bottoming tap & die nut
    1/4"-24 bottoming tap & die nut
    Left Hand 9/32"-24 die nut and perhaps a plain old screw for the brass thumb wheel.
    I have had some luck with an adjustable 1/4-20 die to cut threads to make a 12-20 bolt. The adjustable dies are Little Giant if my memory is working. They are a two piece die that mount inside a collar. A screw adjusts the dies for a tighter or looser fit.

I am also feeling like I need to run out to the shop and check my plane since I do not recall anything with a left hand 24 thread pitch. My recollection is the depth adjuster is a left hand 27 thread pitch. I may be mistaken.

For those unconventional #14-20 slot head screws fastening frog to sole, figured I’d just blind tap that pair out to 1/4"-20 UNC and install sturdier ¼-20 x 5/8" socket head cap screws at that usually hidden location.
    Why? Those screws are readily available.

I thought Lee Valley had some patterns for totes, but I can't find them. You might contact them; very responsive company.
    For me, the hardest thing to remember is they list them as "handle templates." To the best of my knowledge no other term will find them with a site search.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've had this same problem. I ordered a #12 x 20 tap and ground the end off of one with a Dremmel tool cut off wheel to make a "bottoming tap." I couldn't find any #12 x20 bottoming taps on the market.