Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone recognize this Japanese Chisel maker?

Does anyone recognize this Japanese Chisel maker?

Hi, I'm curious if anyone recognizes who the maker of this chisel is:

Jchisel by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

Thanks.

I asked my wife to help translate. It looks like the characters are 文殊四郎 (monjyu shiro). Cannot exactly tell if it is a brand or a person's name.

This link seems to indicate it is a brand - http://www.kikuichi.com/ They have an english page, but no chisels that I could see - http://kikuichi.net/

This link seems to talk about it like a person's name - http://mkmedia.exblog.jp/17141933/

Hi David, does this picture help you a bit more? Thanks for you and your wifes help so far.

IMG_0504 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr
    Last edited by Christian Castillo; 03-06-2012 at 12:43 AM.

How about offering up some more information about it?

Like where it came from, how much it cost, etc, etc.

David, I got a different second character.

文 珠 四郎

Doesn't make much, if any real different since the reading seems to be the same anyway.

As it is, the like goes to the knife maker Kikuichi, and the name on the chisel doesn't even match that but has enough there to avoid too much suspicion but also enough to try and bank on the reputation of Kikuichi.

Stu, who's spent too much time on this already...

(I'd be very, very surprised if the chisel was anything better than mediocre. Probably ok to use, but it's not some fabled treasure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    (I'd be very, very surprised if the chisel was anything better than mediocre. Probably ok to use, but it's not some fabled treasure.)
    Mee, too, especially if it uses the kikuichi name. can't see the front side of it, but it looks like a pedestrian midrange chisel.

A bit of time being struck across the grain in hardwood would tell its story a bit more quickly.

Hi, I bought it from ebay, got it for 30$ shipped, the seller said that he purchased it back in the 80's from The Japan Woodworker catalog. That is all the information I have on it, it is unused, and I figured for 30$ it wasn't too much of a gamble.

With all the buying on ebay, the price means close to nothing, depending on the seller and how much s/he knows about Japanese tools. Most of the sellers I've seen there know nothing about what they're selling; therefore, the item being sold could be a fantastic hierloom/tool as well as a piece of garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Castillo View Post
    Hi, I bought it from ebay, got it for 30$ shipped, the seller said that he purchased it back in the 80's from The Japan Woodworker catalog. That is all the information I have on it, it is unused, and I figured for 30$ it wasn't too much of a gamble.
    I'd be surprised if you can't get $30 worth of use out of it. I think I've only gotten one japanese chisel that I wouldn't give $30 for, and I've gotten many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Castillo View Post
    If you can give some pics of the bevel, socket/neck and that hoop, I might be able to better evaluate what the thing is.

Surprising, I'm finding I can usually pick a decent chisel in a few seconds just by what it looks like, and not what name is on it...

If no pics, I think it's probably worth $30 but I don't think it's a bargain at that price.

Stu.

Christian,

Why not send an email with a photo of the wrapped handle and a photo of the makers mark(at the top of the blade)to Fred Damsen at the Japan Woodworker. He would have no trouble indentifing it for you, if in fact he once sold them. It appears to be an economy chisel but might still be pretty good. It's definitely not some great chisel from a highly regarded maker, if that's what you were hoping.

My wife can't recognize the first character on the left. She thought those characters could either be a name, or say "made by" and a name. She is not sure. Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    My wife can't recognize the first character on the left. She thought those characters could either be a name, or say "made by" and a name. She is not sure. Sorry...

耒宝山人造 ?

These ones? I think the reading on the first is 'rai' or 'suki', and from a quick google has something to do with digging/plowing.

Stu.
    Last edited by Stuart Tierney; 03-07-2012 at 2:46 AM.

As requested, I hope this helps, thanks for the help so far everyone.

IMG_0505 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_0506 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_0507 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_0508 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

Hoop looks nondescript, but ok.

Neck, the gap isn't as tight and clean as it could be.

Hard steel looks a little thick, but ok. The upper surface looks 'as forged' which is fine in a top end chisel, not so great in a medium grade chisel. Not a kill-joy thing, but it's something that should be noted.

No stamp.

As I suspected, it's worth $30.

Sharpen it up and use it. It's still a chisel.

(And thanks for the pics. Never stop learning!)

Stu.

Hi, it actually does have a stamp, but the lines of the stamp are so thin, that its barely noticeable in the picture. None the less, I fully plan on putting it through its paces and for the price, I wasn't expecting anything great either, just something to hold me over till I splurge. Thanks for the help everyone.