Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone recognize this Japanese Chisel maker?

I have a very different attitude, Christian. If I spend more than $10 on a Japanese chisel on ebay I expect something great, even if it requires a bit of work to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    I have a very different attitude, Christian.

Me too.

I never look on eBay for chisels...

(Who's nearly memorized my favourite chisel makers phone number because I don't know how to make speed dial work on the home phone... )

zero-nana-ku-yon, hachi-ni, ichi-yon-zero-ku. Actually got it right.

Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Castillo View Post
    Hi, it actually does have a stamp, but the lines of the stamp are so thin, that its barely noticeable in the picture. None the less, I fully plan on putting it through its paces and for the price, I wasn't expecting anything great either, just something to hold me over till I splurge. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Still, as we (probably all of us) expected, a mid-range chisel, fortunately not a flat across lamination.

15 minutes of working time cutting endgrain will tell you what you need to know. It'll either be a good workable chisel or it'll be a chippy booger. Odds are it'll be a good workable chisel.

if it turns out to hold an edge a lot better than a good O1 western chisel, then I'd consider it a big win. otherwise, a lot of the factory made mid-range chisels I've seen hold their edges just a little better than a good O1 chisels with similar looking failure at the edge after a long period of use. The bad ones don't.