Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of days with David Marks

Couple of days with David Marks

I recently returned from spending a couple of days with David Marks at his studio in Santa Rosa, CA. I had attended a workshop with 7 other woodworkers last July in David's studio and was so impressed that I signed up for a 1 on 1 weekend. David is very open to whatever you want to do, turning, flatwork, marquetry, etc...for me I wanted to run through doing some dovetails. I have done dovetails before with so-so results.
    We selected wood from David's huge stockpile, a couple of pieces of contrasting wood, curly maple and walnut. We discussed design details and proceeded with sizing the pieces. Using the table saw, jointer, planer and drum sander. His jointer has a 2 blade cutterhead so I needed to really slow down my rate of feed to get a good cut on the curly maple. David back bevels all of his jointer and planer knives. He sends his knives out to Forrest tools in New Jersey for sharpening. We were getting some tear out in the curly maple while running it through his planer so we wet the wood which produced very good results.
    We laid out the dovetails and proceeded to do the initial cuts on David's bandsaw. David likes using his bandsaw for dovetails which he has demonstrated on his Woodworks show before. He has 4 bandsaw's in his shop, Delta 14", 20", MM20 and MM36. We used his Delta 20" for the dovetails.
    Once the pins were cut I got to try out my new LN chisels. Wow!!! We discussed sharpening techniques and proceded to sharpen my chisels using waterstones. The results were excellent. David was impressed with the lie-nielsen's. He typically uses japaneese chisels. Next we used the pins to lay out the tails and then proceeded to cut out and fit the dovetails. The results were excellent!
    If anyone is thinking about spending some time with David in his studio all I can say is go for it!! He makes you feel very comfortable. I had a great time learning some new techniques, swapping stories and laughing!
    Couple of pics:
    1)Dovetail results
    2)Setting up the bandsaw
    3)Redwood sphere David is working on for an upcoming exhibition, this sphere weighed almost 400lbs at one time. David hollowed it out on his huge Oneway lathe then boiled it in water and gave it an alcohol bath to bring the moisture down to an acceptable level for finishing. I am sure it is going to be an awsome sculpture when he is finished!
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim
    Sounds like a good time and a great learning experiance. I would love to attend one of DM's seminars some day.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Looks like you had a great time, Jim, and those dovetails look wonderful!!

Of course, you also get your free bonus avitar since you had such a great pic to make it from...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the pic....David mentioned he met you...thought you were an OK guy!
    Jim

Jim,

Congrats on your time. I would love to spend some time with David. It sure would be a great experience! Great work on the dovetails!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Ahhhh....'scuze me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

OK, now that the keys aren't sticky anymore, congrats!!! I'm still green with envy, but this is an extremely well-deserved gload, Jim! I'd love to be able to have an opportunity like that. Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time and have some great results to show for it! You DO realize your next project post will *have* to include some of those wonderful dovetails, right?!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wow!

I can only imagine it's not cheap to buy DM's time one-on-one like that (I'm not asking). What a fantastic opportunity!

Is the sphere going to be in an upcoming episode?

Greg

Wow! Very cool.

John

Looks like we need a whole new group just for the pictures of everyone holding up David Marks' redwood sphere.

Jim those are great looking dovetails. Looks like you had a great time and being with David for 2 days, I would say your woodworking skills had to have gone up a few notch's.

I am glad to here he tried out the alcohol bath. We talked about it when he was here and I ran him a copy of Dave Smiths article to take with him.

That man is a pleasure to be around, even when not talking about wood.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I have never actually seen a bandsaw that big (refering to the redwood sphere picture). That is unless you are really 4 feet tall. WoW!

That had to be great getting tips from a pro like that. I have just started watching his show.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett
    ....David mentioned he met you...thought you were an OK guy!
    That would mean he has a totally amazing sense of recall since we only spoke for about three minutes last August in Orlando! Of the two of us, he is obviously the easier to remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Smith
    I have never actually seen a bandsaw that big (refering to the redwood sphere picture).
    36" Mini Max is a monster...VERY big machine!

Looks like you had an AWESOME time! I want to go back for more lessons... dove tails sound cool

How dry was the sphere when you were there??? Some areas were down to 14% and some off the charts when I was there...

Jim,
    That looks like a great shop! You had a really terrific time! Those bandsaw dovetails look great! Using the bandsaw keeps the cuts square to the board and you still end up with...a handmade dovetail...I have used that method on big ones in 8/4 with excellent results. I just started getting DIY network and I am looking forward to David Marks program....he makes some great stuff!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"