Thread: DeWalt (DW615) Plunge Router

DeWalt (DW615) Plunge Router

Does anybody have - or have any experience with - the DeWalt (DW615) 9amp/1HP plunge router?

I have an opportunity to purchase a refurb for $85 (
    was surprised to see it was manufactured in Italy). It doesn't have any accessories (edge guide, other attachments or manual) aside from the collet & wrenches.

My plan was to sell
    my first generation Ridgid trim router and purchase the new Makita trim router kit. Now I'm thinking about keeping the Ridgid (I like it alot- even better than my buddy's Bosch Colt) and getting the DeWalt. If the DeWalt is a solid unit I figure it is better to have seperate machines.

Thoughts?

Many better 1/4" tools in that power & plunge function range. Tool had a history of keeping its tool bits royally.

I have a DW615 as well as a Black and Decker Quantum, which is the same router with a green case. Mine are made in Switzerland, both bought off of Craigslist for cheap. I love these routers. They are smooth and easy to control. I have used mine very hard and they still run great. You can get a very good dust collection hood for them. They use the generic DeWalt edge guide.

I also have a DW618 router which get used for heavier cuts and in the router table. I really prefer to use the 615 whenever possible, though. It's lighter, less tippy and runs beautifully.

Pat, what would you recommend for a "compact" router that is either a plunge router or has a plunge base. The Micro Plunge Base for the Colt is priced beyond my reach.

I'm unsure what you meant by: "Tool had a history of keeping its tool bits royally".

Todd, you know that Bosch has announced a plunge base for the Colt? I'm not sure about availability, maybe late summer?

"Pat, what would you recommend for a "compact" router that is either a plunge router or has a plunge base. The Micro Plunge Base for the Colt is priced beyond my reach."
    I'm unsure what you meant by: "Tool had a history of keeping its tool bits royally".
    If the 615 is acceptable in size, power, & weight then I would use/get a DW 621, not a compact.
    Kept cutters: Often the collet would jam and cutter removal or adjustment was difficult to impossible. The utmost care in cleaning and lube of that collet was essential; it wanted to keep its cutters if maintenance was ignored.

I am not sure if you are wanting a trim router or a larger one. I have the DW611PAK an just love the little thing, it is a 1.25 hp with both bases.
    Here is the post I did when I got the 611.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=dewalt

I have had a 615 for nigh on 20 years now. good little router. as good or better than a trim router, IMO. Mine is Swiss made too.

Bill, I'm looking at compact plunge router options (I own a PC 7529 that suits my full size needs). Since I already own a Ridgid Trim Router I was thinking it made the most sense to pick up the DW615 for $85 - this way I have both a compact fixed base & plunge router that don't have to share a motor. I really like the looks of the new Makita compact kit (1HP motor, 3 Fixed Bases - standard, angle & seaming and a plunge base) - which appears similar to the DeWalt kit you have except has the additional fixed bases. Anyway... I think I'll pick ithe DW615 up this weekend. I suppose if I don't care for it in the end I can always sell it (they go for quite a bit more on eBay than I'm paying for it).

Thanks everyone for your input.