Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dovetails.

getting the sandpaper back off the glass is a pain too... i might just have to "invest" in one of those worksharps!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    Be sure to use a marking knife and not a pencil.
    Practice sawing to the marking knife line and the gaps will shrink to invisibility.
    David Charlesworth's video on dove tailing is very helpful and his techniques will improve your dove tails no matter your skill level IMO.
    Water Stones rule...hoot!
    I use a sharp #2 pencil and leave the line.
    Using a knife for marking pins and tails cuts into the wood you want to keep, does it not?

My pencil is the only tool I have not yet cut myself with.
    (This list includes dead-blow hammers.)

the pencil is way easier to see

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    My pencil is the only tool I have not yet cut myself with.
    I have a permanent graphite "tattoo" on the heel of my palm where I impaled myself with a pencil in 4th grade.

(This list includes dead-blow hammers.)
    Now that's impressive

Using a knife for marking pins and tails cuts into the wood you want to keep, does it not?
    A little; I see your point (no pun intended). The knife also has the advantage of establishing the show edge. I sometimes trace the knife line with a pencil if I need help seeing it.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    whenever i'm dovetailing by hand i just think how pleasant it is not to have to wear those annoying ear muffs that otherwise accompany every single machining process... i might go back to trying to raise panels by hand once i get my bench vise installed again. the reason for my warning is that almost every woodworker goes through a power tool/hand tool acquisition phase and i'd like to spare you of all the reselling i had to do once my fascination in hand tools started waning!

Who sells tools? Isn't the goal to collect?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    I have a permanent graphite "tattoo" on the heel of my palm where I impaled myself with a pencil in 4th grade.
    Mike

I have such a souvenir in my right thumb - just above the knuckle- courtesy of a mad little kid on a rampage, also in the 4th grade. I even remember the little dude's name
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

i have one in my left wrist after attempting to chase a girl in high school while holding a newly sharpened pencil in the other hand... please don't ask for more details