Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aztec -- again......

Aztec -- again......

Quite some time ago (in 2010) David Harvey created a depthmap file of the Aztec calendar to engrave in 3D, and he offered to share it with everyone here via email (because the file is too large to post here).

I've tried several times to contact David without success, both by PM here and via email. He hasn't been on here for awhile.

If anyone received the depthmap from him and is willing to share, I really would appreciate receiving a copy.

Many thanks,

Ric

Epilog 60 watt Helix

There is a decent vector version floating around too so if the bitmaps aren't high enough resolution for a really nice result you might be able to combine the depth map and a high res bitmap prepared from the vector. Would be interesting to see the results regardless, and the file if available.

I don't think we can post hyperlinks to other forums under the terms of service, but hopefully this is allowed if you haven't seen it:

en.jo1jo.com/vb2/showthread.php?p=81503

Edit: still looks like the actual depth map file is elusive.

Same thread here I think:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...epthmap-amp-3D
    Last edited by john banks; 03-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

I've got it, but I'll need your email address: neither PMs nor emails through the forum allow attachments.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

spooky

That is spooky, I spent an hour yesterday looking for
    a high res of an aztec calendar and now here we are.
    I would LOVE a copy, do I give you my email address here?
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Many thanks, Lee. I'll send you an email so that you have my contact info.

Regards,

Ric

Epilog 60 watt Helix

Thanks Lee.

I ran it and found a decent result at 200mm/s and 0-90% power representing white to black. Any faster than that in 3d mode and my glass tube responds too slow and the edge details are lost.

Converting it to dither (1bit) and running it in 2d mode was equally good though, and gave the option to speed it up for a lighter engrave but without loss of quality due to faster response time.

Best version of this I've used is a pure black and white vector version which has lots of detail and that looks great rastered. I just can't find the link to it now though.
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

Quote Originally Posted by john banks View Post
    Best version of this I've used is a pure black and white vector version which has lots of detail and that looks great rastered. I just can't find the link to it now though.
    Try the one at post #8 of this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r-Ad-Infinitum
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by vic casware View Post
    That is spooky, I spent an hour yesterday looking for
    a high res of an aztec calendar and now here we are.
    I would LOVE a copy, do I give you my email address here?
    The 'depth-map' version they're talking about here may or may not do what you want: it's really intended for a 3D effect in something soft like wood. I posted a link to a nice vector version a post or two back which works a lot better on granite etc.

But you can either post your email here or email it to me. (The forum 'send email' feature works fine, except it won't do attachments.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The 'depth-map' version they're talking about here may or may not do what you want: it's really intended for a 3D effect in something soft like wood.
    it worked really well in Corian. So did the bitmap, but side by side the 3D effect won hands down.

Thanks Lee,

I have the zip file and the other cdr file too
    they are both brilliant.
    Now to find the time to try them out
    Thanks again!!!
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

I love the Aztec calendars I think they look realy good and I might even try to engrave one on a round mirror (reversed). What I'd really be interested in though would be some info about them and how to read them. Anyone know???
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

I don't know how to read them but I do have a really awesome vector version of the aztec calendar. It took me about 2 weeks of working on it straight to get it all cleaned up. I can save it in whatever format you need, simply send me a PM with your email address and I will forward you a copy.
    Kevin W. Huffman II
    Pinnacle Laser

How about just posting it here so we can all see?

-Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    How about just posting it here so we can all see?
    It's too big: ~2.7MB, way over the forum limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The 'depth-map' version they're talking about here may or may not do what you want: it's really intended for a 3D effect in something soft like wood. I posted a link to a nice vector version a post or two back which works a lot better on granite etc.

But you can either post your email here or email it to me. (The forum 'send email' feature works fine, except it won't do attachments.)
    Lee good afternoon, I was doing a search in the forums for an aztec calendar and I ran across this message where you posted you had a copy of the 3d version. If you still have that available could you please send it to me at the following email address.

artclaudia213@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance you provide.

v/r

Art Jauregui
    Arturo (MSG J) Jauregui

Epilog mini 40 watt
    Midi lathe
    10 in Miter Saws
    Dewalt Table Saw
    Sand Flee drum sander
    14 inch bandsaw
    Drill Press
    C&H thumbnailer
    C&H 60 inch mat cutter