Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New computer. Need advise.

Myk,

His computer is an OLD dual CPU machine, not dual-core.... totally different decades. It's well past its prime.

Larry,

Matt is on the right on with his suggestions. You won't need Pro, 4gb memory is fine, a quad-core may be over-kill for you, but will pretty much future-proof you for the life of the machine, and its pretty much standard hardware nowadays. If you ever need service, it'll most likely be an experience no matter what brand it is (think offshore support), but AFAIK Dell is still good about making things right for a machine still under warranty. HP, I haven't dealt with them in sometime, so I can't really say. Just remember, that most any computer bought today, most likely will NOT last as long as the one you currently have. It's the major down side to build it cheaper, cheaper, cheaper manufacturing.

If you were close by, I'd simply build one for you. In my 20+ years with computers, I've never bought a pre-built desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Larry, be mindful that your old programs may not run on the new machine. I have some that will, and some that won't. Win 7 Pro does get you the ability to run some older programs that the lesser Win 7's won't. If you will never use more than 4 gig of ram, go with the 32 bit version. If you want more, you have to go 64 bit.

There's no cost savings with choosing 32bit over 64bit. 64bit would be future-proof, in the event he needs more than 4gb ram, as you cant do a simple upgrade from 32 bit to 64bit. But yes, he does need to be mindful that his some/most/all of his software may not run on Win 7.

Blog Entries
    Larry,
    Like others have said, your requirements are very simple and just about any computer you get will more than meet your needs. You have stated quite clearly that you are not into the geeky stuff and just want something you can use and don't care about any wizz bang feature. I would respectfully suggest that you go down to Best Buy, or Staples, or even Wal-Mart , pick you one out, cause you like the color, or what ever else floats your boat, take it home, plug it in, and start using it. Any more it really is that simple. Computers have become almost like a commodity, they are all pretty much the same, they are all reliable, and just work. Don't loose any sleep over it, at the end of the day, what ever you buy will work great.

I have helped many people pick out new computers and the one thing I have learned about all this is that not everybody shares my love of computers, they don't care how much memory it has or how big the hard drive is, they just want to turn it on and use it. I believe you fall into that category, and that is why I suggested what I did. Computers really have come that far since you last shopped for one.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 03-05-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have three laptops. 1 is a Toshiba, which is rock solid. I got it on clearance at Officemax, a few years ago. I just bought an HP from there also. It had a 50 dollar mail in rebate. The clerk gave us the 50 dollar mail in rebate off the top, because I refused to buy the extra protection, and then gave us the mail in rebate to boot. The final cost of the laptop (6Gb Ram, 75- GB HDD) was around 420. The other HP laptop is 6 years old, I've replaced the cord twice and the mousepad once. Other than that it works great and has the best audio of any laptop I've ever heard. My Toshiba is in a docking station when I want a bigger screen and real keyboard and mouse. I have two desktops. One is my youngest daughters and the other is our HTPC.
    I've transitioned to high end screaming fast desktops to well packaged, affordable laptops, which can be replaced in 4-5 years. I also like to buy from brick and mortar stores, so I can complain to someone in person, when they fail. Good luck in your search.

If you have a legal copy of office you can use it on a new computer. also like stated you don't need windows7 pro.

The Windows Pro was recommended by my bookeeper to go with the new versions of Quickbooks. I will also be updating my estimating program as well as a new design program so it was my thought to go with Pro. Its not much extra anyway. I do use the Outlook Express but I am sure there is something similar today.

What you guys do have me thinking about is a Laptop. Always seemed to me though that everyone was always replacing them or they were in for service. I hate stuff that breaks. But a laptop with a big screen/keyboard/mouse at home may not be too bad, and in the event of a failure is sure easy to transport. Food for thought.....

Thanks, Larry

I use an Asus Eee machine, it's very stable.
    I now consider PCs and Laptops disposable, and backup regularly.

I anticipate my computers will fail every three years and catalog photos accordingly.

The Android powered tablets are a small surprise. They're light on storage, but work every time - right out of the box.
    If you have a WiFi connection at home, you can surf the internet from your couch. Typing is odd, without a mechanical keyboard.

I see no reason to purchase locally, as these products really can't be repaired.
    Buy cheap, make certain you have a right to return and use current anti-virus software.

The Android tablets seem to be oddly immune from computer viruses as they run on a Linux operating system.
    (That can't last - hackers are relentless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Myk,
    His computer is an OLD dual CPU machine, not dual-core.... totally different decades. It's well past its prime.
    Kevin;
    If you had read the entire thread before commenting, you would know I am aware of that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quickbooks doesn't have any requirement for a particular version of Windows 7. Click the FAQ's tab and scroll down near the bottom to see requirements.

The two biggest things you might notice is improved Backup in Pro (mostly noticable if you have a network drive to back up to) and it does have XP mode to run older software. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/bus...son-chart.aspx

Laptops have become very reliable. And at home you can always plug in a big monitor, keyboard, and mouse. But if you are like my wife and I, most home use moves from sitting at a desk in another room to sitting on the couch. I try NOT to do that with work--keeping the work in my office for psychological reasons. Though I have been known to spend a day working from the recliner.

Of all the laptops in our house my pick for best-built is the Dell Precision work owns. Next is the HP, then the Dell Inspiron and then the Acer.

If you do go with Dell the on site service is very handy, but don't fall for the marketing BS about next day service. Read the fine print--they actually are agreeing to send out parts to a tech next day--if you order by mid-afternoon. If they are in stock. Then the tech has up to a week or something like that. Typical service is a few days after the initial call.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-06-2012 at 7:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    The suggestions so far have been pretty good. I'll second Matt's comments about the Pro version of Windows... the XP compatibility mode is very useful, particularly if you have a lot of software that won't run on 7 (and they are still cranking out new software that doesn't support higher than XP).

4GB is more than adequate for what you want to do. Practically any processor you choose on today's systems will be plenty adequate for many many years to come with your list of daily do's.

Consider that Win 8 will be out later this year, and their OSes have had increasingly shorter lifespans for support.

I plan on spending around $300 every 3-4 years for a new system, so I rarely spend much more than that. I keep my monitor(s) from system upgrade to upgrade, and occasionally I'll upgrade it when the bigger monitors come down in price (I splurged last year on an LED 24"er). Nothing in the house uses less than a 22" monitor, and to me that's the biggest return on investment in terms of usability.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Dan says! I think you need to get the biggest LED monitor you can. Those vary quite a bit in quality and price. Look at getting a big 24 incher. The good ones will outlast 3 or 4 computers.
    As for the laptop vs desk top: keep in mind that you are going to get more processing power for your money with a desktop and the parts are much more generic for a DT than the LT. I would say that unless you have a specific need to take your computer with you, I would stay with the desktop.

From what little I have read about Windows 8, I am a bit apprehensive about the new user interface. It sounds like it is radically different than previous versions. I have a feeling that the casual user (the one that just wants to use it and not understand it) is going to be frustrated by it. I mean, for goodness sakes, NO START BUTTON!!! Whatever will we do! And what the heck is a tile?
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 03-06-2012 at 9:41 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I mean, for goodness sakes, NO START BUTTON!!! Whatever will we do!
    How will we shut it down without a start button?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Larry;

If you go with a desktop, consider having a local computer store build one. Take your needs to them, and get a price.
    After all, Up-Nort Mitchigan needs the business.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    From what little I have read about Windows 8, I am a bit apprehensive about the new user interface. It sounds like it is radically different than previous versions. I have a feeling that the casual user (the one that just wants to use it and not understand it) is going to be frustrated by it. I mean, for goodness sakes, NO START BUTTON!!! Whatever will we do! And what the heck is a tile?
    First, a release date for Windows 8 has not been announced so you've got awhile until this is even an option. 2nd, a single button push gets you back to a more classic-view windows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    First, a release date for Windows 8 has not been announced so you've got awhile until this is even an option. 2nd, a single button push gets you back to a more classic-view windows.
    October is the current rumor... still a ways off if you need something soon, but in the lifespan of OSes these days, it's practically tomorrow Honestly, I still feel like 7 is brand new...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5