Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New computer. Need advise.

Thank you one and all for your thoughts and suggestions. I have a little more confidence that I will make the proper choice now.

Myk, there is a local shop that will put one together, but is that really a reliable option? I know nothing about it but I see that there are quite a few on here that build their own, so I suppose that it does not require a factory. I'll check it out.

Last time I bought too much power and never really used it, so I will scale it back. I am prone to such things, I did build a 674 hp Miata after all......

Thanks, Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 03-07-2012 at 7:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Thank you one and all for your thoughts and suggestions. I have a little more confidence that I will make the proper choice now.

Myk, there is a local shop that will put one together, but is that really a reliable option? I know nothing about it but I see that there are quite a few on here that build their own, so I suppose that it does not require a factory. I'll check it out.

Last time I bought too much power and never really used it, so I will scale it back. I am prone to such things, I did build a 674 hp Miata after all......

Thanks, Larry
    the beauty of a local store is to have quick service when something goes wrong...and for you because you don't have the knowledge to repair them its an advantage vs. having to ship it back to dell or hp or whoever. often the price may be a little more locally since they don't have the same volume as others. and the local store should be able to give you exactly the power you need...and if you like linux as an operating system then this is free. i personally like linux mint as it has a nice interface and is similar to windows.

I would never give a blanket recommendation for a local computer store. The problem with a local store though is you really have no idea what you are getting--are they really knowledgeable or just able to muddle through? Anyone with a few bucks who "knows computers" or at least thinks they do can open a computer store. Sure you can take it back to them, but are they stable? Will they still be there a year from now? Some will, some won't. Do some research on them before buying.

A good hint on their real skills might be how much of their business is other local business.

Pretty sure Quickbooks doesn't run on Linux.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-07-2012 at 4:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Larry;

If you go with a desktop, consider having a local computer store build one. Take your needs to them, and get a price.
    After all, Up-Nort Mitchigan needs the business.
    That would be my vote as well. IMO you'd likely get better hardware for your $$ and no bloatware crap that needs to be removed. You might even get a disk so you can restore your box. Many or most systems don't come with restore disks these days. Some provide a way for you to create your own, others if your hard drive goes titters, I guess you buy new hard drive and a copy of Windows (or preferably from the manufacturer's viewpoint, a new machine). I've always built my own desktops so have no first hand experience with Dell, HP, etc. etc.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 03-07-2012 at 8:04 AM.

Thanks, Larry
    The company I used to own built all computers from scratch, to spec. We carefully vetted all components, and have clients still using computer we built for them 7 years ago. Research your local companies carefully, some will be great, others will talk a great game, but.....
    BTW, I second the Linux opinion, if you can get the right software for it. You need to learn an all new operating system, why not a free one, that is super reliable. And no Microsoft Tax!
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 03-07-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    The company I used to own built all computers from scratch, to spec. We carefully vetted all components, and have clients still using computer we built for them 7 years ago. Research your local companies carefully, some will be great, others will talk a great game, but.....
    BTW, I second the Linux opinion, if you can get the right software for it. You need to learn an all new operating system, why not a free one, that is super reliable. And no Microsoft Tax!
    in fact it is not hard to build a computer...i have ordered parts online many times to do this...i like asus mb's, intel cpu's and corsiar memory, etc....maybe you know someone who can help you place an order.

Blog Entries
    I think you guys need to reread Larry's original post. Especially the part about not knowing much about computers and having no desire to learn about them. He wants something he can turn on and start using. Building his own and Linux do not quite fit his requirements.... Seems to me he would much rather be in the shop making sawdust.
    I'm just sayin.......
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I think you guys need to reread Larry's original post. Especially the part about not knowing much about computers and having no desire to learn about them. He wants something he can turn on and start using. Building his own and Linux do not quite fit his requirements.... Seems to me he would much rather be in the shop making sawdust.
    I'm just sayin.......
    Nobody is saying to build his own, and I agree Linux is not for the average user. I've been building and using machines since the early 70s, and still haven't figured Linux out.

The advantages of having a local shop build one are local service, and if the store does close down, the machine is built with generic parts that anybody can fix.
    Dell, Acer, and a slew of others use proprietary parts and cases. A PITA to replace prats.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks, Larry
    Larry, my last two computers have come from a local computer shop. I didn’t order anything extreme, just their middle of the road machines. They are the best computers I have owned. What is also nice is if I do have a problem they are quick to help. When this current machine gets too dated I will be buying from them again.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Anyone who says Linux is hard to use has never used it. It is just as easy and as hard as windows, for the average end user. I'm just saying'
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I'm just sayin.......
    Larry,

not saying he should build his own computer or use linux, which is not that daunting to use, but sometimes one must look a little beyond the usual horizons. Really its not that hard to do.

I am getting a quote from a local company that has been in the business about 20 years. I like the idea of local service and non-proprietary parts. They also are a internet provider, so maybe I can get all in one place.

Ya, me build a computer.....

Thats funny now, I don't care who you are........

Larry

Anyone who says Linux is hard to use has never used it. It is just as easy and as hard as windows, for the average end user. I'm just saying'
    Linux is pretty easy, maybe easier than Windows, probably closer to osX but with some yabbuts. One is hardware; many desktops are plug 'n' play, some ATI/AMD graphics adapters are PITAs, some notebooks are impractical for Linux. The second is mindset. "What do you mean it doesn't have a registry?" "Where's the .exe file?" "Why aren't you running an anti-virus program?" "How often do I have to defrag?" "Where can I find a driver for x piece of hardware?"

Bunch of BS. Re-read my previous post #38
    It is NOT for the average home user.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I am getting a quote from a local company that has been in the business about 20 years. I like the idea of local service and non-proprietary parts. They also are a internet provider, so maybe I can get all in one place.

Ya, me build a computer.....

Thats funny now, I don't care who you are........

Larry
    There is absolutely no reason not to go with a local builder IF they’re honest, competent, and have kept up-to-speed on current and coming technology. They should be willing to sit down and discuss your current requirements and also make sure you are aware of the new “stuff” that might be of interest and benefit to you. My definition of Proprietary Equipment: "We have you in our evil clutches and you are at our mercy."