Thread: Almond Goblet? WIP

Almond Goblet? WIP

The plan for tonight was to just grab a small piece of wood and do a "quickie". Instead, I grabbed one of the smaller pieces from the almond log, which was a little crotch piece about 8" long and about 5" wide, a little bigger than I planned but sleep is overrated.
    This one turned and hollowed just as nicely as the hf I did earlier.
    I went with Baxter's advice and planned a flare and then gave it a bulb to try and make the most of the grain and the contrast between heartwood and sapwood.
    It's about 5 1/2" x 4 1/2" and the outside has a coat of danish oil. The inside still needs to be sanded. It's got a small tenon on the bottom to add a pedestal and base (suggestions for pedestal, base and transition designs please!). Hopefully it will look better when finished with a pic from the photo tent.
    2012-03-06_00-05-54.jpg2012-03-06_00-06-54.jpg
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Great contrast in colors, Kathy! IMO, the base needs to be fairly thick and short - perhaps 3.5" wide at the foot, and a couple inches tall.

3. A lot of potential with that one Kathy.............that can have a sense of sophistication and elegance with the right stem/pedestal.........good luck on your design!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Neat stuff, Kathy! I'm thinking that a nice smooth, simple curve in a darker wood would be a neat look... Sort of an Osolnik style.

I agree with John that a base short and thick would work. Really nice looking wood Kathy. Really nice contrast.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished! Has a great birds-mouth effect!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

What a lively piece of wood! Kinda anxious to see it completed with a nice stem. Tall or short, thick or thin you have half a winner all ready!