Thread: Thien Baffle with veritas lid

Thien Baffle with veritas lid

Has anyone tried hanging a thien baffle under a veritas cyclone lid? Did it work better? Less scrubbing, less airflow loss? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    thanks.
    Paul

For the Thien baffle to work, it is a "UNIT." Change or leave out some of the parts, and it fails badly. Phil put a lot of time and research into his baffle trying all the options.

I would aver howl'n at the moon rather than barking up the wrong tree.

I should probably look at the Veritas lid but if I recall the outlet and inlet ports are on opposite sides of the lid. The Thien baffle places the outlet in the middle of the lid and there is a lot more direction to the inlet that is directed to the side and around before it options down through the open slip of the baffle. But if I already owned the lid and had a nifty bin that fit, and all my hoses were in place, and I wanted to dramatically improve the performance of said lid, then I would plug the outlet of one side, add a fitting to the center for the outlet to the blower/vac and add an angle fitting to the inlet so it was directional internally. Then I think the added baffle would create a meaningful advantage to the system. I would not spend the money on a new lid if I were going to modify it but if I had already purchased the lid or gotten it for Valentines Day, I would most definitely make the modifications.

If you go to the Thien Forum site you will see that there are people who have modified lids just as I have reported and have enjoyed significant improvements in function.

So, of I took a lid, hung three rods off it, then placed the thien baffle under it, it wouldn't work? Or would it just work poorly? I would think angling the airflow in would be very effective, but maybe I am missing something.
    thanks!
    Paul

Check out the build video's on YouTube, the Thien site, and search this site. You will figure out quickly that the dynamics of the separator require a direction of inflow that circles the bin and then the heavier parts drop out down the slot while the central discharge picks up relatively clean air from the center of the tornado in a bin. Just blowing into the lid but shortening it with a baffle will not be effective. I don't know how directional the Veritas lid is, so compare it to the actual Thien designed tops, and decide.

Thanks. It is pretty darn directional, so I may just try it.
    Paul

I've done it.

I didn't drill the Veritas. Rather, I added a baffle to the can with a support in the middle that extended down to the bottom. I had to modify the shape of the baffle a bit to provide a couple of extra non-recessed areas to keep it centered.

It worked fine.

The baffle, added to any stock separator, will certainly improve separation (because it focuses the speed above the baffle) and reduce scrubbing.

One thing I will say is I wish the Veritas lids had better connections for the hoses. That area can be a little wobbly/leaky.