Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend a drywall cutout tool

Please recommend a drywall cutout tool

Decided to do some drwalling myself as it's a fairly small job and the quotes have been outrageous. I'll need to do some cutouts for recessed lights and the usual outlets and switches. What do you all like to use that's quick and easy? And hopefully cheap? I do have a FMM but would prefer a rotary. I get dizzy looking at all the Dremel and Rotozip options...not sure which would be right. Thanks!

utility knife

I will not consider cutting drywall quick or easy, the clean -up of all of the dust will transform a easy job into a pain, a roto tool will perform as well as a key hole saw

No need for motorized tools for everything. I'd suggest a 10$ sheetrock jab saw--no cords/batteries and super fast.

It's the layout that can take the most time. Templates are great for this--I cut 1/4" melamine templates for single, double and round cutouts. Use with a t-square and you only need to use your tape measure for left/right location.
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 03-06-2012 at 7:12 PM.

I use a saws all blade in a handle - similar to this unnamed.jpg especially good and cheap for a small job.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I use a Porter Cable drywall router which uses 1/8" and 1/4" cutout bits. ($75-80) You could probably get something cheaper on Amazon or a trim router from Harbor Freight that would work if you wanted something semi disposable.

You could use a multi tool, they work very well, the last thing I would use is a Rotozip, they blow dust everywhere.
    I normally just use a box knife like was stated by Bruce.

No power? Blasphemy! Point taken...

Great tip on the templates Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I use a saws all blade in a handle - similar to this unnamed.jpg especially good and cheap for a small job.
    +1

i've used a rotozip as well as a circle cuttnig drill attachment and i never felt safe with using either of them overhead. the jab saw works very well for this purpose. you could also use a multitool but you'll have to make multiple plunges since the blades are mainly flat.

There you go. A utility knife and a drywall jab saw. That's all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Decided to do some drwalling myself as it's a fairly small job and the quotes have been outrageous. I'll need to do some cutouts for recessed lights and the usual outlets and switches. What do you all like to use that's quick and easy? And hopefully cheap? I do have a FMM but would prefer a rotary. I get dizzy looking at all the Dremel and Rotozip options...not sure which would be right. Thanks!
    Absolutely nothing motorized-not needed and just will make you sick with the dust! First a good utility knife. Stanley 99 with fixed blade was what I carried decades ago (hung more sheets of board than I care to remember). Next is a good jab saw-you can get these at any borg. Take it, and use a file to sharpen the point to a knife like point. Finally, if you have a lot of doors to do, you need a larger jab saw (think small panel saw) with the same type of teeth. If you can't find one at the borg, go to their handsaw section and get the roughest cut Stanley hardpoint handsaw, with the shortest blade. All three of these will set you back maybe $30.00 total. Get a drywall T-square if you're going to work with full sheets (about $12 to $15). Unless you're going to make this a full time job, you don't need anything else. When hanging, I'd use drywall screws, but if you don't have a powered driver, use ring shank nails, but also use glue.

You going to tape? You'll need a mud pan, a 4", 8" and 10" or 12" knives. Use ring shank nails to affix the outside corner bead. For inside corners, the borgs now carry preformed metal, topped with paper. Makes inside corners a snap. Use paper tape on flat joints (mesh is for plaster or skim coating). Get yourself a sanding pole and some 120 grit paper. Take your time with bedding the first coat as smooth as you can.

Any other questions, PM me as you proceed. As I said, I've did this many, many moons ago for a living, both hanging and finishing. Can't be anywhere near it today because of the dust, plus, I left the trade in 1989 and started a manufacturing plant and been there ever since.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Must say i've got great use from a Multi Master (with the chisel type blade) for cutting out awkward shapes in ceilings and the like situ.

ian

Blog Entries
    If the cuts are straight, I might use a knife if I have nothing else. But since most canister cutouts are circular, I prefer a keyhole saw for everything.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

victor, the other thing you will need to deal with is texturing otherwise the seams and irregularities in the framing behind the drywall will be fairly apparent under a raking light.

Another vote for a utility knife and a drywall saw, those and a tape, a couple of foot lifters, T-square, hammer and a screw gun are pretty much all you need to hang rock, add a hoist if you are doing a ceiling alone.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.