Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koa end grain bowl

Koa end grain bowl

While in Hawaii the big island last month, I sent two pieces of koa home. I wasn't real excited about turning an end grain bowl but did it anyway. The pieces were 6" cuts off a 12" diameter log that fit into a priority mail box. Both had some checking so one piece got broken down into smaller pieces and one became this bowl. There are a couple of cracks in the rim but that doesn't matter because it's not for sale and is now our official salad bowl and oh what memories..
    Koa, 11" diam. walnut oil,

C&C always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That will be a nice conversation piece and it looks like an ideal form for holding a salad! Is that a little touch of sapwood showing through on the left side of the photo? That wood has a deep rich look to it - pretty!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Blog Entries
    Very nice. Did you happen to go horse back riding? I went a few years ago and saw burls the size of a Volkswagen. I practically broke out in a cold sweat wishing I could take it home with me.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Hayes, sounds like you had a nice time. I love the subtle reverse curve at the rim of this one - sweet looking bowl!

Very nice looking bowl and what a neat way to remember the trip.

Steve

always nice to have a rememberance of a splendid vacation...
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful bowl!! Glad you had fun in Hawaii... never been there but I watch it on Hawaii 5-0 every week!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Bill, horses and I don't seem to agree on anything but I did manage to develop some wood envy in my travels. The local woodturners are blessed with the good stuff.

Jon, the light patch is sap wood and I would have left more but in order to get the piece in a flat rate box I took a machete to it and thats all I could leave.

John, thanks so much, my attempt to let what I saw in the galleries have influence.

Beautiful shape, Hayes. Having never turned an end grain bowl, I would really like to see this one. Will you bring it to the next meeting that you attend?
    John Altberg

Love that color.
    C&C WELCOME

Woodturning, and woodworking in general, is at such an incredible level of beauty on the Big Island. I've never been anywhere that I've seen such a concentration of beautiful work. That's a great looking bowl and a great reminder of what was a wonderful vacation.

Beauty! I've yet to make it to Hawaii, but I appreciate the reservation you showed in only shipping home two pieces of wood! Glad you had a good trip!

Very nice bowl. I love the warm feel and look of Koa. Hawaii is a magical place and in a perfect world (and if the planets align again) my wife and I will return there. We've been out there twice (Oahu and Maui) and loved it. In fact after the last trip my wife convinced me to redecorate our master bedroom in a Hawaii theme! I love the restraint you showed by only sending back 2 pieces! If we make it to the big island I will be stealing some wood from Kelly Dunn's stash (he just doesn't know it yet)!!!!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nice looking bowl. Will always bring memories of a great vacation. Wasn't into turning when I was there nearly 10 years ago so never sent any nice stuff home.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Curt, I sure agree about the concentration of beautiful work. When entering a gallery the color tones of all things wood is extremely pleasant and checking out the art can drain your strength. It's that good, and at the same time it can be humbling. The only gallery purchase I made was a bowl turned by Dan Deluz who sadly passed away a couple of months ago.

David, I wasn't there long enough to look up all the wood suppliers on my list and one I did come across wanted 10.00/b.f for koa. I wasn't impressed with the wood he had and all I really wanted was a souvenir. The couple of pieces I obtained from a woodturner friend sort of ended my search and I concentrated on other things like black sand beaches.