Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice please: What SHOULD I want for Christmas?

Advice please: What SHOULD I want for Christmas?

I build boxes and small furniture in softer woods like Mahogany. About 18 months ago, I saw a list in FWW saying what planes a newbie "must have". Ive bought almost all of those and a couple more, either new or used. Specifically, I have these: low angle and regular block planes, #3, #4, #5 and a small ( 1/2" ) shoulder plane. (Its just been a good year money-wise. Purely good fortune and out of the norm.)

But as a result, Im out of ideas for what I want for Christmas. Im inclined to get 1 or 2 more planes- not because I need them, but just because learning to use them has been such a fascinating journey. (Recall Im both a newbie and a hybrid user - I still plan to use my power planer.) So theres a point where buying more gets rather silly. Problem is, nothing else interests me at this moment.

So I need ideas and advice. Im thinking about buying 1-2 of these planes as candidates:
    1. a #7 jointer. Its the last one on the FWW list left to buy, but I just dont know that its worth the $ when Im not going to abandon power tools. Its roughly $300 for LVs. Do I really need a #7 in my tool chest for the work I do? Is it just a smart thing to have, regardless?

2. A #4 1/2 smoother. My #4 does nice work. But the 4 1/2 is supposed to be the cream of the crop for smoothers. Wood River has a nice one for $169.

3. A medium (3/4" wide) shoulder plane. Wood River on sale for $119.

4. A #2 smoother. This one interests me because its small - fits between my block plane and my #3. Seems more versatile for the small stuff I build. The only one I can find is LN, for $250.

5. Scraper plane. The LV is $200-ish. Mostly interested in it because its something I havent tried. But this may not get me much - I have several scrapers and scraper holders, so this might give me the least bang for the buck. I dont know.

Id like to stay at around $300 and I think Id like to buy new rather than old/refurb. All of these are wish list - none of them are really required based on the other stuff I already have. Which one or two of these would be most useful?

Thanks guys!
    Fred

Have ya got a router plane? A rabbeting plane?

Thanks Judson. I forgot to mention that I have a smaal routr plane too!

Whirled peas.

LOL! I just KNEW somebody would say that!
    Thanks Thomas!

Just thought to add. Perhaps its not more tools you need. Shop improvements, lighting, vise, and a woodworker should never be out of wood.

I was going to say wood too. How about a hollow and round pair? Veritas Small Plow? Out of your list I'd say #7 or Large shoulder plane and put a #2 on the very bottom (as in off). *

( * I'm a newbie and don't know anything but that never stopped me from answering like an expert )

If you're set on a #2, get a LV low angle block plAne with the knob and tote

Blog Entries
    Your first sentence:

I build boxes and small furniture in softer woods like Mahogany.
    Leads me to believe you might be among the few who would have more use for a #2 than a #7. If you start regularly working pieces longer than 2 or 3 feet then a #7 might come in handy. Though if you have a power planer you may just need another smoother like the #4-1/2. I like my #4-1/2 but it is just a wider smoother and harder to push than a #3. When I want to work larger areas the #5-1/2 or a #6 comes out.

One problem people have with a #2 is trying to hold it like a larger plane. For me it is easier to keep the tips of my fingers resting against the back rib of the frog than it is to try and wrap them around the handle.

My other suggestion would be for a plow plane. They come in very handy for making grooves for box bottoms or drawer bottoms.

Do you have any use for a spokeshave?

Have you ever noticed a hole in you tool selection?

What kinds of small furniture do you make?

Any specialty tools that would make something easier?

For me, I would like a hewing axe or some more draw knives. That is because I have trees on my property that can be harvested.

Molding planes would also be on my list. Do you see yourself getting into making molding for your own furniture projects?

Some day I would like to do some inlay. That means making or buying some tools.

I do enjoy trying to carve and have done a few things. Carving gouges might be useful for carved decorations on some of your boxes or furniture.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would say get a versatile plane like the Veritas Low Angle Smoother. Technically it's of similar size to your number 4 but you can purchase a toothed, 38 and 50 degree blades to go along with the standard 25 degree blade. This would give you a plane that can handle tricky figured wood, knots, shooting, smoothing, end grain and it's comfortable to hold.

$219 for the plane with a PM-V11 blade. $79.80 for the additional PM-V11 38 & 50 degree blades and $33.90 for the A2 toothed blade.

Total of $332.70 so not much more than your cut-off.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Shoulder plane, one or two top grade chisels (LN, LV PMV-11, etc.), one of the LV molded spine saws, a spokeshave (even if you have no use for it now, you soon will), good bench vise (I think the LV quick release steel vise is better than the old Records), and so forth.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

4 vs 41/2 is just personal preference...4 1/2 is no "better". Skip it for now.

No. 2...have you ever held one, they are pretty small, like Jim said you would need adjust your grip. Could be super handy, but on the other hand might not offer much above and beyond your 3. Skip it for now

Scraper plane...are you encountering situations where you need one? If your not working really heavily figured wood you probably don't need one. Skip it.

3/4 shoulder plane...a very nice all around sized plane. I have the LV in that size and it does eveything I need for a shoulder plane. 3/4 WR shoulder could be a good option, but since you already have a small you might be better off saving for a large and covering both ends of the spectrum...again though a 3/4" is a great all around size andis sure to see a lot of use.

No 7...yes, a great choice. Ever need to flatten a panel wider than you planer or jointer? Ever need to get a really nice edge joint? Then yes, one long plane is really something you want. 6s are great too, and if your not making a lot of things where your workpieces are over 3-4 ft than a 6 is plenty long enough and in my opinion nicer to use.

Many many other options.....router plane, spokeshaves, nice rasps, joinery saws, bench chisels, paring chisels, some type of shooting/miter plane, a nice set of Grace screwdrivers (love these), something for fitting tenon cheeks (float, wide chisel, rabbet block, skew block, large shoulder, whatever), joinery saws, marking gauges or squares or other marking measuring equipment....these are all things you'll find useful as a hybrid woodworker. I left the plow and skew rabbet off the list because I imagine you use your powered router for that. Many many things that will be nice to have and helpful to your woodworking.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 12-04-2013 at 6:23 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Jointer, without a doubt. The 4 1/2 is neither better nor more capable than your #4.

In my experience, my 7 is perhaps my most used and valued plane. It excels at jointing edges. of course, but for flattening panels, four squaring cupped or twisted boards, fitting drawers and doors, and even planing very small parts used upside down in my vise and on and on.

15. I am a hybrid worker and I would not give up my #7. There have been times where I bought a longer board and used the 7 on it before running it through the jointer because there were high spots that would have made the end result a tapered board. The #7 allowed me to get more yield out of it. I think that that is the main advantage of things like a scrub plane and a jointer plane for hybrid workers. You aren't using a machine to take down a bunch of material when you just need to take care of one isolated spot.

I second the recommendations for a good vise and spokeshave as well.