Thread: Waterstone comparison

Waterstone comparison

Anyone able to compare Norton to Ohishi (Lie Nielsen's offering) waterstones. I'm interested in the 8000 and a 3000 (Ohishi) or 4000(Norton)

I would give you an educated opinion on them, but I have never used the norton 8000 (that I can recall, at least) nor the ohishi. They are about the only two common stones I haven't used or owned.

I did notice when LN started selling them (figuring at the time that they picked them up because they like to have things others don't have, it makes price comparison harder, and generates a sense of exclusivity) that even though they're not overly common to us, there are other places in the US with cheaper prices on them.

I'm sure either of them will get a tool sharp just fine, and if there is a difference in fineness, it could easily be wiped out with $10 of chromium oxide powder or the microfine stick in the extremely rare instances that it might matter.

Just got a Norton 8000 two days ago. I now have a nice cut on my left index finger(didn't feel it) while cleaning up a blade. I have learned not to sharpen a blade then clean it. Clean first then sharpen, remember safety first. Do not get in a hurry!

I also haven't tried either stones. But I am under the impression the Ohishi's are a harder stone than the Nortons, as well as being a splash and go stone.

I was told the LN stopped carrying the Shapton series of stones due to issues with their vendor for the stones. They just couldn't keep LN stocked up consistently to maintain the demand so they let Shapton go.

I have the Norton 1000/8000 stone and I am very happy with it. I tried the 10000 Oishi stone at the LN event last month and it is really good, but I am not ready to change my system and buy it. Hope that helps.

I have a Norton 1k/8k and I've tried the Ohishis at an LN show. That was a while ago and only briefly, so I can only speak very generally. From what I remember,the Ohishis are much denser feeling, they're not all that hard but they're dense. They don't absorb water, but they still have some smoothness and slurry to them. I don't know what they are made from but they behave like medium hardness modern ceramics. IIRC they seemed harder, faster cutting, less thirsty, and more dish resistant than the Nortons.Nortons are fine, but if the choice is between and Ohishi and Norton I'd go with the Ohishis. They seemed like pretty nice stones.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 12-07-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...