Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any one have a Hammer N4400 OR a Felder FB-510 ? Need some feedback

Question any one have a Hammer N4400 OR a Felder FB-510 ? Need some feedback

Long time lurker & finally am gearing up a revamp of the shop (So tired of chasing Square & the catch up that entails )
    the additions are a TS, BS, Jointer/planer

Thinking of getting a BIG Band Saw & need some feedback on either the Hammer N4400 or the Felder FB-510
    I am getting a Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer combo unit , placing the order in 2 weeks

If I get either at the same time as the Hammer A3-31 I can save a wad on shipping

http://www.hammerusa.com/products_fe...region%3Dus-us

they have Xmas pricing in play till the middle of January

& I'm getting a Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer in any case ,

looking at the FB-510 Felder as well

http://www.felderusa.com/products_fe...3&region=us-us
    I like the Felder having the larger table & 16" capability for resaw vs the Hammer 12" resaw

thinking they might give me a package deal OR at least charge me less for shipping on 2 units .
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

If you are going to be resawing 12-16", get the biggest Felder you can afford. No one wishes for a smaller machine when resawing. Dave

Well, if price isnt an issue then get the Felder. Both saws have table extensions so table size really isnt an issue. Do you see yourself resawing a 16" wide board often? thats a pretty big resaw.

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    Well, if price isnt an issue then get the Felder. Both saws have table extensions so table size really isnt an issue. Do you see yourself resawing a 16" wide board often? thats a pretty big resaw.

It's a bigger resaw yes & I d kick myself to get the 12" Hammer then want to do say a 14" cut down the road , I can only do this once so I'd error on big than just not enuuf , the $ amount is not a huge difference as It's a package deal with the Hammer A3-41 Jointer/Planer combo machine . I only want to do this once & with a top shelf machine , Felder West is just 50 miles east of here all freeway miles at that . there is a jump in benefits over the N4400 with the FB-510 . I'm a hobbist with a lean on doing custom work , I've been using tools that are bear minimum stuff for years what limits me now is not having these quality machines .
    Last edited by Michael Mahan; 12-14-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    It's a bigger resaw yes & I d kick myself to get the 12" Hammer then want to do say a 14" cut down the road , I can only do this once so I'd error on big than just not enuuf , the $ amount is not a huge difference as It's a package deal with the A3-41 . I only want to do this once & with a top shelf machine , Felder West is just 50 miles east of here all freeway miles at that . there is a jump in benefits over the N4400 with the FB-510 . I'm a hobbist with a lean on doing custom work , I've been using tools that are bear minimum stuff for years what limits me now is not having these quality machines .
    Hi Michael!
    I have a Felder FB-510 for about 8 months now. It is much heavier than the Laguna 16SEC I've had for over 10 years and the fit and finish are much better as well. There is no comparison with a 14" Delta/Jet or one of their clones. It has enormous capacity, excellent power and is remarkably quiet. The dust collection is very good although you have to deal with 120 mm collection ports. The euro style guides work very well with any blade about 1/2" or wider given that you can tension the blade well beyond any smaller saw without difficulty. I use my small saw for any curve work I do. The finish with a carbide-tipped blade is nearly the same as my table saw. You will enjoy working with the Felder people in Sacramento. Fergus has always been responsive, knowledgeable and willing to help. No regrets (also no relationship with Felder, etc.)
    Ed
    Ed

6. Hi Michael, I have had quite a few bandsaws over the years and took delivery of the N4400 about 2 months back and I have got to say I am really impressed, so much so that I have ordered a 2nd one to save me changing blades ( a bit over the top I know ) but so what there are no pockets in shrouds so I am told. The small table takes a bit of getting used to but after a while it's no big deal, hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril Thompson View Post
    Hi Michael, I have had quite a few bandsaws over the years and took delivery of the N4400 about 2 months back and I have got to say I am really impressed, so much so that I have ordered a 2nd one to save me changing blades ( a bit over the top I know ) but so what there are no pockets in shrouds so I am told. The small table takes a bit of getting used to but after a while it's no big deal, hope this helps
    What table are you used to, and what do you find yourself doing to compensate?
    (the size seemed to be comparable to other saws in the 16-17" wheel diameter range)

I'm on a 14" saw right now, and would definitely like a larger table.. but an ideal size isn't clear -- it isn't like I can even lift up some logs that I'd dream about resawing.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril Thompson View Post
    Hi Michael, I have had quite a few bandsaws over the years and took delivery of the N4400 about 2 months back and I have got to say I am really impressed, so much so that I have ordered a 2nd one to save me changing blades ( a bit over the top I know ) but so what there are no pockets in shrouds so I am told. The small table takes a bit of getting used to but after a while it's no big deal, hope this helps
    that's a huge endorsement if your getting another N4400.
    while I can't afford 2 BS I'm leaning toward the Felder FB-510 but am told to look at the minimax 16 but I can't find the pricing
    where are the minimax made ?
    I was also told to look at the Laguna Italian
    I do want to do resaw
    these machines are all new to me but I have once only chance to get these now .
    I really don't want the Chinese or Taiwan products at all . I want machines the will last a life time But If I ever change up things & sell these machines for any up-grades I want my resale valve to hold . I feel it's best to keep the core machines (TS , planer/jointer , BS ) as high as I can afford in possible quality .
    I would entertain used machines but only the simple to refurbish stuff , (shapers , sanders ect )
    the 1st thing I bought was a ClearVue Cyclone , they gave me a nice discount on a CVMAX ( I got my tracking # yesterday ) it will be mounted just outside the shop & vented directly in to the wind . I value my lungs as much as my fingers
    I'll be ordering a Jointer/planer combo machine & what ever BS I decide in the next 2 weeks .
    Last edited by Michael Mahan; 12-14-2013 at 11:52 PM.

MM saws are made by Centauro in Italy ACM are also made there and they have two lines so you want the heavier of the two. Both Laguna and Felder sell ACM saws but Felder only sells the larger ones. You can PM Erik Loza here for info on MM. Those are about your only all Euro choices. Dave

There are also used Laguna ACM saws on woodweb.com and adhuntr.com. Dave

I ordered a MM-16 from Erik Loza , he gave a fair & decent price & it's just a beefer machine for the Buck
    Last edited by Michael Mahan; 12-17-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    I ordered a MM-16 from Erik Soza , he gave a fair & decent price & it's just a beefer machine for the Buck

you got a great saw, you're gonna LOVE IT....now for the wait to run some wood thru it...the anticipation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post
    you got a great saw, you're gonna LOVE IT....now for the wait to run some wood thru it...the anticipation
    now I've gotta get that Hammer A3-41 while it's still on a discount , then if that SawStop PCS special with the added Free D/C boom happens in January , I'm set for awhile .. after that it's used stuff for the rest
    that MM slider looks Nice thou

Arrow correction mis-spelled name

that's Erik Loza I got the MiniMax S400P ( MM16 ) Bandsaw from .
    I miss spelled his name Sorry about that Erik

his contact info :
    Erik Loza
    Minimax Division
    SCM Group, North America
    Mobile: (512) 221-6563
    Duluth Office: (866) 975-9663

He is very good at what he does & made sure I was well informed on the Bandsaw before I ordered the machine .
    Making sure I was making a informed choice of model .
    his help & information after the sale was & is amazing

OK ,
    after some serious thought about what I wanted , some more research , I called up Erik @ MiniMax & up-graded my choice of a MM-16 to a MM-20
    I was just in time as they were able to get the 16 back before the shipper / truck left Atlanta
    I felt it would be better for me to get the biggest I could need then not buy something smaller & wish I had a bigger BS
    My thought process is that I have always planned on getting a Laguna DriftMaster & the Ceramic guides , building some feed tables for handling large items .
    AND I thought If I'm doing all that then I'd do myself better getting the 20 as it's a larger table , bigger flywheels , a better choice of blades , less stress on the carbide blades with the 20" wheels .
    Last edited by Michael Mahan; 12-19-2013 at 7:29 PM. Reason: mo' info