Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topioc: The Giant Green Egg

Off Topioc: The Giant Green Egg

I'm in the market for a outdoor cooker that works equally great as a BBQ and a smoker. Does anyone own the Giant Green Egg? I hear it's the best combo bar none. It's also very pricey...I believe around $800 for the large size. I've also read they last a lifetime so I'm willing to lay out the money knowing it will probably be the last cooker I buy. In addition to conventional BBQ (grilled steaks, chicken etc.) I want to get into smoking large pork shoulders and ribs. What do you guys think?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Big Green Egg? Yes, I have two of the Large size. Your logic is the same as I used. Last one I'll buy. Had them a couple years, they've been fabulous.

Mark, do you use your hardwood scrap for the smoker? I've been saving up a bunch of white oak scrap in anticipation of getting a smoker. I found this website which discusses the various species most often used for smoking. http://www.smoking-meat.com/barbecue-woods.html
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

The other one to look at is Primo. Many prefer the choice of an oval cooking surface. Both are excellent.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-10-2012 at 4:28 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Mark, do you use your hardwood scrap for the smoker? I've been saving up a bunch of white oak scrap in anticipation of getting a smoker. I found this website which discusses the various species most often used for smoking. http://www.smoking-meat.com/barbecue-woods.html
    No, just the charcoal, occasionally some Jack Daniels smoking chips, or Applewood chips. I have a bin of scraps, but haven't used them yet.

My sister has the Big Green Egg and it is very nice. I cook on it a bunch during and it is worth the money.

M

I have better luck cooking things with little fat in my Big Green Egg.

Rendered fat from burgers sets off small grease fires, and causes scorching.
    Fish, corn and chicken are cooked beautifully on mine.

Two things make a real difference for mine, as far as cooking speed and flavor are concerned;
    well made hardwood charcoal and a fairly high heat level (around 325 degrees) - at lower temps, everything tastes like a house fire.

I got a 1/4 round ceramic wedge for cooking vegetables, but what worked best is a pizza pan with little holes in the bottom.

jim
    wpt, ma

PS - Get the biggest one you can afford, you'll run out of grill space, fast.

I hadn't heard about rendered fat being a problem. Don't people use these things for pork ribs and shoulders...both rich in fat?
    Scott Vroom

The Big Green Egg. I bet I could even find one Easter morning.

I had to see what you were talking about.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

i have a large and small. have been bbq and smoking on them for since '05 or so. use them on average 4-5 nights a week, rarely use my oven. i have use some scrape stuff (cherry, oak, maple) for flavor of the wood. not had a problem with short cookings like burgers causing any flare ups, but i do keep the lid shut while cooking. when doing long cooks like ribs, butts or some big like a turkey you'll use something between the heat and the meat, usually a ceramic plate.

Since we have an egg pic, here is a picture of the oval Primo, plus it is made in the US.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Big Green Egg (BGE) Medium @ Costco for $579
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Rendered fat from burgers sets off small grease fires, and causes scorching.
    Fish, corn and chicken are cooked beautifully on mine.

Two things make a real difference for mine, as far as cooking speed and flavor are concerned;
    well made hardwood charcoal and a fairly high heat level (around 325 degrees) - at lower temps, everything tastes like a house fire.
    Are you not using the ceramic heat/grease deflector under the cooking grate?

We cook pork butts (pulled pork - full of fat) for 24 hours at a constant 200-225 degrees. The pork literally melts in your mouth. Yes the ceramic plate gets disgusting after those drippings, but it is easily cleaned.

We also use it for steak, burgers, chicken, etc. Normal grill usage. Never had the problem of burning or charcoal/fire taste.

I found a retailer in my area that has a sale going on both the Big Green Egg Large ($680) and the Primo Oval Junior ($654). I'm pulling the trigger this weekend on one of these. Made in America gives Primo the edge. I guess I'll start pouring through a couple hundred reviews tonight
    Scott Vroom