Thread: jet open base B.S owners HELP!!!

jet open base B.S owners HELP!!!

OK, I broke the cast upper blade guide peice on my old reliant band saw and have had no luck getting a replacement as they went out of business years ago. The problem being that all the popular saws use a 7/8" height adjustment guide post. The reliant post is more like 3/4" so i would have to make a sleeve of some sort to use a delta/jet etc guide assembly. Last night while reasearching this problem I read a review (on amazon, I think) from a guy who ordered an aftermarket roller bearing upper assembly for his jet that didn't fit because the guide post was too small. he has an open base Jet band saw and the guide post is 3/4". He made it fit and was surprised to find this out himself...
    I emailed Jet immediatley and went through thier .pdf's trying to determine if this is so and I've gotten no response... The part numbers that i could dredge up are the same.
    My question to any of you with an open base jet band saw is: could you please measure the diameter of the height adjustment shaft on your saw? I need an upper guide assembly to mount on the smaller 3/4" shaft.
    If anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it!!!
    Thanks'
    Joe

I can't directly help you BUT if you can't verify this for the Jet, the Porter Cable they sell at Lowes has (I am pretty sure) a smaller diameter post as well, that part may work.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks Van, (that was fast!!) at least you gave me a lead. I will check it out. I'm looking for that review i mentioned and will post it in a sec

The review was on amazon and I'll post it below. Strange thing is the guides are a Jet product....??? I'd really like to avoid fabbing something up to make it work. Just want an assembly that will bolt on without any headaches and also I'd like to let any owners of the open base Jet know that they may have difficulties upgrading their guide assemblies 'cause this dosen't seem to be common knowledge: Carter dosen't list a seperate product for open or closed based Jet band saws...I'm also just going on this guys review... Maybe he's wrong. Again any help or advise is appreciated.

Heres the link:http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708127-JRB...DateDescending

And here's the gist of the review:

This is a nice addition to my Jet 14-inch open stand bandsaw. However, be aware that if you own this bandsaw there is a slight problem with mounting the upper guide to the guidepost on the saw. The guide post on the open stand bandsaw is 3/4 inch diameter vs. 7/8 inch diameter on the closed stand bandsaw. (I know this because I ran into the same problem with the Jet 6-inch riser block kit. The riser block kit came with a 7/8 inch dia 12-inch long guide post that was to replace the stock shorter post. However, it doesn't fit onto the open stand saw.) I was able to mount the upper roller guide into the smaller diameter guide post by fabricating a "bushing" out of 3/4 inch pvc pipe. The closed stand bandsaw is obviously a slightly more "beefy" saw with a bigger motor (1 hp vs 3/4 hp)than the open stand model. I'm not sure why Jet had to enlarge the guide post on the closed stand model because it's not that much bigger and the 3/4 inch dia post appears to more than adequate for the job it's intended to do. Jet should include an adapter kit so that these accessories will fit both models of bandsaw

Part #'s or model #'s of saws with the 3/4" post would help. Thanks!
    You guys rock!
    Joe