Thread: Router Table Build

Router Table Build

I got myself a copy of the plans for Norm Abram's router table, and I plan to start building my new table here in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure some of you have built this router table before, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or caveats to share before I started. I'm definitely not the most advanced woodworker (pretty green still, actually) so any extra tips, tricks, or gotcha's would be appreciated.

Also, I was wondering opinions are out there on what the best router plates are. I've got a Triton TRC-001 that I plan to mount in my new table, and I've been doing a little research recently. I think I have it narrowed down to the Incra Magnalock or the aluminum plate from Woodpeckers. I'm currently leaning toward the Woodpeckers plate, but was wondering if anyone had experiences or opinions to share, or perhaps could point me toward an option that I overlooked.

Any input is appreciated.

I have two of the Incra aluminum plates and they are nice but I do wish I had gotten magnlocks.
    I am unfamiliar with Norm's router table plans but the one thing to watch for is keeping everything dead flat.
    If you use layers of MDF for the top then I would recommend NOT screwing them together, just glue them. If you really want to screw them together then make sure you pre drill the holes otherwise the screw penetrating the second layer causes dimpling in the middle that will cause the top to warp as it dries. Ended up with a large, heavy slightly dished table top when I tried it. Second time I just glued and had no problems.