Thread: Circular Saw Dust Collection

Circular Saw Dust Collection

Anyone have any ideas on improving dust collection of their circular saw? I have a porter cable saw with the dust port. I connected my Festool vac to it and ran it at full speed, but the results were less than satisfying. I have a small shop and use the circular saw to break down sheet goods and straigth line rough lumber. Any pictures and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mike

I have contemplated making a hood similar to a table saw blade guard that is transparent and attaches to the top of the base. I have gone so far as to purchase a sheet of polycarbonate after prototyping with card board. But I found it easier to set up saw horses outside my garage with a 4x8 sheet of OSB and a 4" thick 4x8 Styrofoam insulation sheet for breaking down plywood.

Never pulled the trigger on that dust project.

I've modified my Porter Cable saw with some plastic from a 2-liter soda bottle. You can see how by searching for "Install Dust port in front of saw" on youtube. It works very well.

Use my Makita to put a straight edge on board with live edges. Have noticed that about all the dust comes out the dust port on the guard. Tried to super glue a piece of plastic to it, but didn't make it through a cut. Worked though. Would like to find a fitting you could attach to it. Screws would have to be really short though.

I try to go outside when I can. However, seems like here in Cincy, it rains/snows/or is too cold about 10 months out of the year. I built a "poor man's panel cutter" in my shop and use the circ saw inside mostly. I was thinking about some type of plastic piece on the outside that could be adjustable to move up and down with the depth adjustment. At least that would knock it down instead of throwing the dust to the ceiling and scattering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L. Pauba View Post
    I've modified my Porter Cable saw with some plastic from a 2-liter soda bottle. You can see how by searching for "Install Dust port in front of saw" on youtube. It works very well.
    Kevin, I think I saw the video you are referring to, there was one for a Makita and one for a PC worm drive saw. Mine is a sidewinder and has a 1" dust port on the top of the shroud in the front. I think my issue may be that there is a lot of opening between the base and where the shroud begins. How did you attach the plastic strips to the front shroud? I'm thinking of using some flexible strips so they can move with the depth adjustment.

An investment in a track saw is in order. That is made for attachments to dust collection and works pretty good.

Since you already have a Festool vac a TS55 would work great with that. I can cut MDF and have almost no dust. Any attachment you make for your current circular saw will probably make it difficult to work with comfortably.

I've seen the Track Saws demonstrated in person and while they are a neat addition to the arsenal, IMO they certainly are not the bottom line in dust collection. Even with the attached Vac, I personally would not use one inside a shop without Respirator and Ambient Air Cleaner in place. Sure they kick out less than a normal circular saw although there's lots of fines escaping out the bottom of the cut. Watch closely at the next Demo you go to.

I've been cutting outside most of this winter in Michigan and I still wear a Respirator and close the garage door. Lay out your cuts in nice warm garage and then venture outside. Vac yourself, tools and wood off before re-entering.
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 03-09-2012 at 2:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    I've seen the Track Saws demonstrated in person and while they are a neat addition to the arsenal, they certainly are not the bottom line in dust collection. Even with the attached Vac, I personally would not use one inside a shop without Respirator and Ambient Air Cleaner in place. Sure they kick out less than a normal circular saw although there's lots of fines escaping out the bottom of the cut. Watch closely at the next Demo you go to.

I've been cutting outside most of this winter in Michigan and I still wear a Respirator and close the garage door. Lay out your cuts in nice warm garage and then venture outside. Vac yourself, tools and wood off before re-entering.
    They certainly capture a significant amount of dust compared to a regular circular saw. You just use a a sacrificial piece (foam board) under what you are cutting and then there is no dust escaping on the bottom. This is the setup I use when cutting and as I said there is very little dust. I have no problem using mine in the garage without a respirator on.

I'm gonna have to try using a sacrificial piece under the track saw. I too have noted that a lot escapes from the bottom of the cut. I never considered that the sacrificial foam would help with dust collection! Thanks!

No doubt the sacrificial foam will help, Does it trap the dust or just hold it hostage long enough to allow the Vac system to pull it through the kerf opening? As far as not using a Respirator when doing this in the shop, I think with all due respect, I'll continue to wear mine. Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gagne View Post
    They certainly capture a significant amount of dust compared to a regular circular saw. You just use a a sacrificial piece (foam board) under what you are cutting and then there is no dust escaping on the bottom. This is the setup I use when cutting and as I said there is very little dust. I have no problem using mine in the garage without a respirator on.
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 03-09-2012 at 4:41 PM.

It definitely helps. The only time I get any noticable dust is when cutting a sliver off the edge to give me a nice straight edge.

I may be headed the rout of the track saw eventually. I think if I use a foam backer under this saw and try to close up the opening betweent the blade and upper shroud, I should see a noticeable improvement. Thanks for all your help.

+1 for festool (or other track saw) and a good vac. I use either a TS55 or TS75 with a Fein turbo 3. I've tried various hoods for both my porter cable 7 1/4 saw as well as my work drive, but nothing works as well as a track saw designed to capture dust and a good vac.