Thread: Switched to T8 lights in shop

Switched to T8 lights in shop

I bought all new 4 tube T8 light fixtures to replace the old 2 tube T12 fixtures. I kept the same number of fixtures as I had before so there's actually twice as much light and that is so nice since much of the time I spend out there is evenings after work. And now with shorter daylight hours here in the north east that extra lighting is nice. No shadows anywhere in the shop so I can see if I have a run in a finish while it is still wet, can read the tape measure and see fine lines better.DSCN3312.jpgDSCN3311.jpgDSCN3317.jpgDSCN3316.jpg

Dave Shute: who made the 4 bulb T-8 fixtures? Around here, the stores have only 2 bulb T-8 fixtures. Am thinking about replacing the 3 2 bulb fT-12 ixtures in the garage and the 4 4 bulb T-12's in the shop with T-8's. POrbably add a few for fixrures in the shop, esp. over the table saw and the assembly bench.

Where are you in western NY? My family were some of the early settlers in what is now Sullivan Co. Miss the area and the dairy farms, but definitely not the winters!

Nice looking shop. I always enjoy seeing how others have configured their workspace. We are building a new house and I will have to seriously look at the T-8 fixtures for my new basement shop. I am excited to grow from 24x14 in the current house to 39x14'-9" proposed space in the new house.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Dave Shute: who made the 4 bulb T-8 fixtures? Around here, the stores have only 2 bulb T-8 fixtures. Am thinking about replacing the 3 2 bulb fT-12 ixtures in the garage and the 4 4 bulb T-12's in the shop with T-8's. POrbably add a few for fixrures in the shop, esp. over the table saw and the assembly bench. Where are you in western NY? My family were some of the early settlers in what is now Sullivan Co. Miss the area and the dairy farms, but definitely not the winters!
    If you like the fixtures you have, I found it pretty easy to just change out the ballast. The 'bulb holders' are the same for T12 & T8. This won't make a 2 tube fixture into a 4 tube fixture of course. I found the perceived light better with the T8s and my converted fixtures use 25%-33% less electricity. The published lumens were very close but the T8s are a high color temp - around 6000k, I'm not sure if that accounts for the difference or not.

Curt H: the fixtures in the shop and garage are the cheapest ones that the contractor/thief who built my house and shop could install. It is hard enough to change a bulb without them coming apart....

Blog Entries
    Lighting looks really good Dave.

Good looking shop.

PHM

I got the lights from Lowes, about $50 per fixture plus bulbs. I'm south of Rochester and east of Buffalo. Wyoming county, where there are more cows than people.

Dave,

I may have to check out those fixtures. My shop originally had these massive four bulb 8' T12 fixtures, and a few years ago I started changing them out for smaller two bulb T8 hanging lights... and it seems like the dang things go bad faster than I can replace them. Replacing just the bulbs doesn't work, and new ballasts cost more than what I paid for the fixtures. As a result of my frustration, my shop has a growing number of dark areas

...where there are more cows than people.
    Thats not a bad thing...

Monte

Knock on black walnut, I haven't had any issues with these yet. There are multiple light temperature bulbs to select from, I use the 5000K. The only thing I think they could have improved on with these is the hood causes the thin supports at each end to sag a little but I just ran a 1 1/2" washer head screw through them and it solved the issue. I have 12 of these in a 20 X 24 shop so it looks like a sport stadium at night out there.

Good to hear, Dave! Your lighting density is about the same as my plan and I'm glad to learn it's about right. Sports stadium at night sounds about right!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I just bought four, 4-bulb T-8 fixtures at HD. It's the same fixtures in this post except the one's I bought has a swing down mesh bulb "guard". Each fixture cost $50. + cost of bulbs. Really well constructed. Only thing I don't like is the grey powder coat finish on the reflector...Would have preferred white, but that can be solved with a can of paint.
    Last edited by Stan Zolenski; 11-15-2012 at 1:20 PM.
    My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......

Stan,

I am running the same 4 bulb T-8's from HD. I would have liked white reflectors too but I have to say that I am not about to paint them now. I have had them for about 4 months now and the light is great even with the grey reflector so I see no need to change things. Reminds me that I have to pick up a few more fixtures for the other side of my garage.

Mike

Yes, after I looked at them the other day, the grey finish to me...would seem to be fine. I'm just at the point where I'm going to start my electrical wiring etc. My lights are still in boxes. For my 12'x16' shop I presently have 4 fixtures. I'm thinking one more fixture may be in order however I'll wire for 5, install the 4 and see how that works.
    My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......