Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas White Desk

Thomas White Desk

All,

Some of you might know about our Hobbs tradition, meeting once a year to build furniture together with my brothers, my Dad, and me. In 2010, our project was this desk. It has been a long haul, but within the last couple of weeks I actually was able to complete the finish and install the hardware. The desk is a reproduction of an original desk made by Thomas White in Perquimans County, NC, in the 18th century. Since I started this one over two years ago, so it feels GREAT to get it finished.

Wood, walnut from Irion Lumber in Wellsboro, PA and Bald Cypress from Northeastern NC as the secondary. Wood, aniline dye, shellac, and wax. Hardware from Marshall Brass in England. Photos: Wesley Lewis, Overland Park KS.

Please let me know if you have comments, critiques, questions, or want to know more about the history of the piece. Thanks, Cal

Desk front view.jpgDesk oblique view open.jpgInterior components open.jpgcarved foot.jpg

Looks great Calvin!

Do you each build your own or do you all work on the same piece? How do you decide what piece to build?

Top notch work!

Wow, that desk is gorgeous and what a great family tradition you have.

Gee Calvin, it kind of looks like the one in the American Period Furniture Journal. Seriously though, as usual a truly fine piece with great execution. Are you going to make the midyear at Old Salem in June? Again, congratulations on a stunning desk.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

That's spectacular execution! Awsome family tradition as well.

Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

Beatiful reproduction.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

EXCEPTIONAL !!!

What a great project !! Must have been fun working with family
    MARK

Outstanding in every respect! What a sweet project and legacy.

That is one sweet piece of furniture..
    Real, real nice work Calvin.
    Thanks for posting a pic of it finished.

Stunning!

I can see an awful lot of hours in this build.
    Stan

Absolutely stunning! Gorgeous wood and sublime craftsmanship.

looks like an heirloom piece!

Thanks all for the nice comments....

Scott,

We each build a separate piece. So in 2009 there were actually 5 of these going on at one time (Dad, me, two brothers, and one good family friend). 3 of them are complete, hopefully 2 more in the future.

In a way we take turns deciding, although it is a group discussion at the same time. Since 2007 we have built corner cupboards, high chests, armchairs, one year we went touring, and the desk. Actually this week we are at Dad's shop making tall-post turned beds. Good times but a lot of work. Wouldn't trade it for a "normal" vacation that's for sure.

Dave, good to hear from you. Probably will not make the conference in June, as I will have made 2 trips to NC by then, and will be coming back in July. But I hope you enjoy the talk from the Old Man!

Thanks, Cal

What a lovely desk! The carvings on the feet give it a welcoming grace. Thanks for sharing your work with us Calvin.

Hi Calvin,

The desk is amazing. I can even imagine the hours you invested in this piece. I'm sure your grandchildren will fight over it.

Since you asked for critiques, any reason why you didn't stain/ dye the glue blocks behind the legs? Maybe this is a traditional look, but they stand out too much. Really, I'm stretching to find anything but praise.

Thanks for posting.

Eric