Thread: bolts

bolts

will someone explain what "sex bolts " are use for ? is this a new name for a old fastening or a new idea ?

Fred, is this the type of bolt + screw that are use on saw handle and big knife handle ?

Sex bolts are used to fasten two items that have a low tolerance for movement. There can be a minute amount of movement with a threaded bolt. Sex bolts are also used where there cannot be an exposed bolt sticking out.

Ray

We often use "sex " bolts at work to atttach things to a surface that you can see the other side. Example , we use them to attach a door closer to the top of the door. The reason is many of todays doors are either hollow core or in the case of commerical buildings , fire rated, or plaster filled. A regular screw does not hold very well. So, we drill all the way through the door and use the male / female style bolts. They are also used to attach the handle to a saw.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    Fred, is this the type of bolt + screw that are use on saw handle and big knife handle ?
    yup ...
    saw and knife ones are 'fancy'

Hit me again, I'm still stupid, I started work on a meat cleaver handle but did not know this bolt name a number of years ago, I just remember that this bolt are use on public restrooms doors

Blog Entries
    I just remember that this bolt are use on public restrooms doors
    A friend of mine used to call the ones on restroom doors "zoo screws."

That is because they are usually one way so the "kids in the zoo" can't dismantle everything.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)