Thread: Is there a router bit set that will do this?

Is there a router bit set that will do this?

I'm looking for a router bit set that will make the joint in the right hand picture (top view of a corner wall cabinet). Anyone know if it exists?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I made my corner cabinet a little different base on a pros suggestion - the corner cabinets sides sit proud of the standare wall cabinet (can sort of see it here):

I just put the crown on these cabinets on Saturday and it really makes the cabinets.

Mike

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mike, that design does solve the problem of aligning corner and wall cab face frames. I'm using finished end panels, though, and am trying to address a different problem. My layout is the same as yours; the difference is that I'm making the exposed side of my corner cab with a finished raised. In the pic I posted, the schematic labeled "harder" (the drawing on the right) shows the joinery to attach the finished side panel to the angled FF stile. I'm hoping there's a router bit set that makes this joint - I really don't want to attempt it on the TS.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Glenn, thanks....that looks like it will do the job!
    Scott Vroom

Scott
    I made a joint at 45 degrees in some cabinets years ago, with panels cut at 90 degrees and a solid wood corner inset cut at 22.5 on each side and installed with biscuits. Like your second drawing (harder) with a line out to the right at 22.5 then trimmed outer corner with a hand plane. Looked something like this, ( \/ ) with top of v closed, outer corners cut at 45. Tom

Thomas, I'm having trouble visualizing your design. Would this work where one side of the corner is a face frame stile?
    Scott Vroom

Scott
    Yes. Your view is a top down view, correct? Are you connecting the two gray stiles? or wood colored stile and gray stile? or all. My filler works best as a panel to panel joint with out cutting panel sides to matching angles. Looking at your view ( harder) as top down view, Glenn's router bit would work better with that small dog leg in your cut. Tom

Thomas, yep in my drawing the stiles are gray and the cab sides are wood colored...shown in a top-down view. I believe you are correct that Glenn's solution would work to join a stile to a cab side at a 45 degree angle, as shown on the "harder" drawing. Your method of joining 2 squared plywood sides using a notched single board is quite clever...thanks for sharing.
    Scott Vroom

I just make my face frames with the proper complimentary angles, in this case 22.5 on each side and spline for reference. Works well for me.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I just make my face frames with the proper complimentary angles, in this case 22.5 on each side and spline for reference. Works well for me.

Larry
    I agree with Larry on this one, spline or biscuits or even a glue and tape fold (I do the tape and glue joint because my face frames are built as single units, but that's another discussion). Then set your cabinet sides relative to the face frame edge for a consistent look.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Table saw?

Rick Potter