Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering CNC

Ordering CNC

We are all ready to finally order! Any input on one CNC verses the other? So far I think we are leaning towards the ShopBot. We have waited what feels like forever to be able to add this to our shop and I really don't want to make the wrong decision so any help would be very much appreciated.
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

Quote Originally Posted by James & Zelma Litzmann View Post
    We are all ready to finally order! Any input on one CNC verses the other? So far I think we are leaning towards the ShopBot. We have waited what feels like forever to be able to add this to our shop and I really don't want to make the wrong decision so any help would be very much appreciated.
    I surprised Jim Mcgrew has not posted yet. I would ask that you take a look at a Camaster. It is not a bolt together machine. It is built solid with heavy duty steel tube. It can be customized to your particular needs. I have had my Camaster C.N.C. for over 2 years and it has been a good investment. Keith Outten here at Sawmill Creek got him one awhile back. Give Joey a call at Camaster. Also here is a map of Camaster owners. There might be one in your area that you can go look at to see if it is what you need.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...104.501953&z=4
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

Either one will be a great investment If you look on the shopbot forum there are some nice used machines up for sale.

CAMaster,
    www.camaster.com

machine owners support forum just register and you can get in with us !!

www.camheads.org

IMG_0004.jpgIMG_9504.jpgIMG_9519.jpgIMG_0231.jpgi belive you asked earlier about crosses

I'll stick in a post about ShopBot. First the machine is a solid piece of engineering. Second the company support has been excellent (the very few times I needed any). Third the community of botter's is what finally sold me. Fourth and finally I downloaded all of the sample software i could find and tried them all. Then I discovered the best software was the stuff from Vectric. Vectric also wrote the software that comes with the Bot. If you can swing it I would highly reccommend getting a machine with a spindle instead of a router, just for the difference in noise I would do it. That's just my opinion of course! Russ

O.K., more confused now than ever, we've got ShopBot, Camaster, EZ Router and the Patriot to pick from, they all seem to be priced really close? I have heard some really good things on all of these, so how does one decide which way to go? I've been told to look at he forums to see which on is more active, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Any help is much appreicated.
    God Bless,
    Texas

i will go you one better!! go see a machine,,, camheads and shopbot have maps showing owners locations, go see a machine,,,, each one has its own following for several reasons,, i know each of these machines welll and they also have some faults some more some less,,, go see a machine,,, find someone who is doing what you want to do and gooo see a machine,, meet an owner infact mees at least two from each of your top choices,, i know of two that will not let you down and two that have less of that,, again go see a machine,, get on thier forums and ask !!!!

texas is loaded with machines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvHCAgAS9Uk

Speechless . . . absolutely beautiful!

zll
    God Bless,
    Texas

I've been talking to the neighbor for the past year or so. Last year he bought one of those QuickCNC routers and has been making signs and props and stuff... This year he was at an auction, and bought a MasterCAM, "only because they were practically giving it away". I'll say, he got the 4x8 router, cooling system, vacuum pump, dust collector, and one tool body..... for $500.

Dang. Even for a used and abused router that was a steal. Wish I could find even a decent table top model for that much.

You might look at used. There are deals out there...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I have been making a living on my shopbot for 5 years. it is easy to customize and modify.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

"I've been told to look at the forums to see which on is more active"

That all depends on why the forum is active!

If they are always talking about 'fixin' stuff that's bad, if they always taking about 'doing' stuff, that's good.

Another thermometer of a good forum, watch how quick someone gets replies to their questions and then read the replies and see if they are actually addressing the issues. Which ever way you go you are in for a lot of fun and enjoyment. I got my machine as my retirement present. I do NOT want to have a hobby business. However I make enough on side jobs (signs, bookcases, garage cabinets, etc) to pay for my retirement hobby. In fact I paid for my machine within 2 years. Now if I can just figure out how to pay for the propane this year!

Have fun and enjoy. Russ

I would like to say "Thank You" to each of you for your responses. We are going to be researching machines for the next few weeks. We are hoping to find some shops to go visit here in Texas. The hard part is if you have never had a CNC machine before, you don't really know what to have added on to one and what not to, or what questions to ask, so we are going to have to do some reading and hopefully some visits.

Another thing . . . when you place your order about how long does it take to get the machine.
    God Bless,
    Texas

Since IWF is in Atlanta this year you can contact a CNC Vendor and inquire about purchasing one of the machines they run at the Fair. Some companies will build you a custom machine and offer it to you at a discount if you prepay and arrange to pick the machine up at IWF after the Fair.

This one would be my pick for a first time CNC owner
    Attached Images Attached Images