Thread: Travel kit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Travel kit.

This weekend I shall be demonstrating at the Perth LN Tool Event. One area will be half-blind dovetails (featuring blue tape as an aid).

I already have a travel set of chisels. These are modified Stanley 750s (ground shoulders with minimal lands, and longer handles in She-oak). These are sized from 1/8" through 1" ...

I thought the sharpening system would be of interest, hence this post. The kit consists of a 600 grit diamond stone (for removing fine chips), and then four plates with diamond lapping film in 15, 3, 0.5 and 0.1 microns (from Lee Valley).

Each plate (and film) is 6" x 3", and made from a flat section of hardwood (Jarrah for me), with a 1/8" layer of clear vinyl as the substrate (the self-adhesive film needs a flat and smooth surface). There is an extra piece of vinyl as a cover. I use Camellia oil as a lubricant.

This makes for a very compact and complete sharpening system for chisels and plane blades.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I do like the simple lines of the handles. I may just have to make a few. Or maybe 6 of them.