Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Plain Holly

Just Plain Holly

One of my neighbors is a Master Gardener and was involved in clearing one of the community gardens. Knowing I was a turner he salvaged a whole bunch of fairly large holly for me...more than I can probably process before the blue stain gets it. 10"h x 4"d, buffed and Renaissance waxed. I put several coats of Deft satin on it, but I guess I didn't wait long enough for it to dry or buffed too hard, because I think I buffed it all off. C&C always welcome.

DSC_2769C L.jpg

Nothing plain about this one! I was looking at the creek on my phone and had to go to my computer to see this closer. First class form. Elegant!
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Blog Entries
    Ted, that's a real beauty. A very elegant form with just the right amount of shine. If you need someone to get that Holly out of the way, I'm your man.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Very simple and clean - sweet!!

I love turning holly, but use it mostly for finials and pedestals. Saw some at Woodcraft, and I now have a better appreciation for some that was given me by Robert Henrickson, fellow creeker and club member!! The wood for the piece you turned would have cost $60-80 - at the minimum!

I really like this one, Ted! Elegant is the perfect word for it. Form couldn't be any better and the plain whit holly is an ideal canvas.

love the shape..hard to get this just right. That is one expensive piece of wood out on the marketplace. Glad you got it from a friend.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Nice vase, Ted.

Sometimes that "plain" old wood just lights the place up! And that one does, it makes quite a statement I think. It's beautiful and it's really gonna look nice wherever it ends up being.

There is something to be said for "plain old wood". Great form, Ted. I've found if I get the bark off the holly as soon as possible, it doesn't stain.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

That is just "plain" beautiful. I really like the simple form and the white. Very......I guess, contemporary. A matching black would look great next to it.

Ted,
    I stopped to visit Mike Smith one day and he told me he keeps holly in the freezer to dry it. It helps eliminate the blue stain. Move over pork roast.
    faust

Very nice form Ted! I like the plain wood but the form steals the show! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Just beautiful Ted. Clean lines and simple really set it off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ted, that's beautiful! The form is exceptional and the wood is "pure as the driven snow".

Sometimes, that simple stated elegance really stands out...like this one does! Nice job on keeping it simple Ted!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots