Thread: a David DeCristoforo and wood ID needed

a David DeCristoforo and wood ID needed

First try at a David DeCristoforo and let me say it was fun THANK YOU David for the great form to try and follow....

but not sure what the wood is had it for a long time????????????stem.JPGstem top.JPGdont know wood.JPG

also finishing up this onered eye.JPG

bought this bench grinder stand way to small so converted it to a rolling cadytool cady.jpg

now to do the HONEY DO LIST!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-18-2012 at 8:41 AM.

Joel. Glad to see you've got things up & have started turning again. Now let's get to some Big Stuff !! I know you've got the tools to do them with.

Nice work, Joel! David D. certainly has created some fantastic and inspirational pieces. It appears you did well with this tribute! Better pics would help, though.

My guess on your chunk of wood is black walnut with a touch of burl.

Do you know what the wood is on the other piece being finished? Look forward to the finished pics of it, as well - perhaps with a nice side profile shot.

thanks Joe looking for the right pc of big wood to do LARGE did one walnut about 32 inches but think I can go bigger LOVE the sinner system it is smoooth.

John thank you, I think I need to start looking at a photo set up now that I on my way...

The red one was Box Elder clear as could be oiled it but looked so plain, went with the Joe Landon method on it and happy so far . Learned alot doing it....

Nice work on the tribute goblet! What did you use for coloring on the HF? Looks good!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really nice goblet.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

you have studied his pieces and done a grand job recreating his vision. A very appealing piece
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

A fine job. I think DD will be as proud as a new Daddy!!

Joel, you had me fooled!

Joel, those are some great looking turnings and you got the DD inspiration down pat.

I have to go along with John K. on the wood. I have turned a few pieces of Black Walnut and your wood looks just like it.

"The best things in life are not things."

Blog Entries
    Absolutely superb. It really draws me to it. I think the figure in the goblet just comes alive. Well done.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Arrg! He's created a monster!!! It looks to be an excellent form but I have to parrot a couple of others in asking for a better photo. It's hard to see much of the detail or even "read" the form as a whole with so small a photo and against the dark and heavily textured background. The wood looks fantastic. What is? And size? More info!

BTW, the wood is walnut. Looks like another "amphora" on the hoof!
    David DeCristoforo

Neat piece, but larger pictures would be great. I suppose the wood could be walnut, but it looks a lot more like elm to me… The burly area especially looks like elm burl.

Joel,
    Great effort copying such a difficult piece. Doing so can make you appreciate how difficult a long stem can be, especially when turned as thin and well proportioned as David makes his. Thank goodness for imaginative people so the rest of can try our hand at really neat designs.
    faust

Looks like Siberian Elm to me.