Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Illusion

Blog Entries

The Illusion

The piece of wood I used to create this didn't look like much. Many of us have looked at it and can't really be sure of what it is. What I do know is, I'm glad it was saved for this project. This vessel is styled off of the technique developed by Trent Bosch. The inner vessel is Tropical Walnut. If you look, the grain really lent to the flower pedals. I couldn't believe how lucky I got when I started drawing the pedals. I was originally just going to do it as a vessel but then I remembered the illusion technique and decided to step it up a notch, good thing I did. There is a variety of tools used to turn, grind, carve, sand, sand, sand, shape and finish a piece like this. I'll try to lay out all the stuff and take a picture for you all to determine if you want to give it a shot. I wanted to shoot it in my photo tent but I won't be back to work til Tuesday and I couldn't wait. In the mean time, please enjoy.

What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill - this is stunning!! I'd like to see photos of the underside, so I can figure out some techniques.

Nice work, Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike, I'll take a picture today sometime. The outer vessel is one piece though, no seams.

Phenomenal piece, Bill - just phenomenal!! I look forward to seeing additional pics. Whatever that wood is - it has some great character.

Beautiful, Bill! The figure does, as you have already mentioned, work really well with the flower petal design. Pretty cool!
    David DeCristoforo

WOW! Fantastic! Those petals look absolutely beautiful. I'll bet you wish you had a truck load of that mystery wood. I took a two day class with Trent and enjoyed every minute of it.

Oh yeah that's a super piece and looking forward to more info.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

That's really a great design. The woods go so well together. Excellent work!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

9. Nicely done Bill!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Bill,
    A turning that stunning could be shot in a pup tent with a box camera and still look great. I watched Trent Bosch make one of those and saw several he brought along for display and none of the pieces were done with a chunk of wood that lent itself so well to the piece as yours. Beautiful carving and as always, outstanding work!!
    faust

Bill,

Really nice piece. very well done.

Alan

Blog Entries
    Bill as already stated great looking piece

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much my friends. I had to run down to my work to get my battery charger for the camera. It'll be an hour or so before I can take more pics but I'll get on it asap. I also picked up my smaller photo tent. Lets see if i can improve on the photography too. with the new lathe coming, I'd like to try one of these on a larger scale with a few touches I have in mind. This was so much fun, you can bet I'll be doing more of these.

14. I saw your previous post the other day and having not come across the vessel of illusion I had a root about the internet WOW! I have to say it has captured my imagination I will have to track down a copy of the dvd to see how its done! Having said all that its great to see your piece the wood is amazing and the finished piece looks fabulous Can't wait to see more pictures!
    Ermmm ............ lots of miles from Mr S very many miles

Wow Bill; the trip to Glaser's really inspired you! That is awesome . . .
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand