Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Illusion

Fabulous piece, Bill!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

That is a lot of WOW! power.
    C&C WELCOME

When you originally posted that you were going to make an illusion bowl I had no idea what you were talking about. It sounded like something Merlin the Magician would do and I wasn't disappointed. Wow that's a bunch of smoke and mirrors. I realize it isn't magic but a lot of hard work.
    Fred

I'm in Fred's boat...did it look like a bowl but was really a box?! Really fun effort Bill!! The grain orientation really adds to the effect!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Truly beautiful, Bill...wow!

great turning, i really like it Bill

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much everyone. I really got lucky on this piece of wood. I have to finish a humidor but after that I'll try another one asap. More pics soon.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I like it! Beautiful grain pattern and I love the surprise when looking into the opening! Nice work Bill!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great work Bill. Both wood and form are first rate!

That is just beautiful Bill. Love the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ha! That's amazing, I was reading through the other thread and finally figured out you had posted this. Too cool, I'm not familiar with Trent Bosch's work, guess I'm gonna have to do some internet research. This is a super cool effect, and yes that hunk of mystery wood, lends itself perfectly to this, both in grain pattern and in aloofness. I'm looking forward to seeing all the tools you had to use to create this. I've become increasingly interested in carving, I'm just trying to resist that vortex at least temporarily until I can save some money for tooling. Now you have me wondering what you are going to pull out of your hat next?
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    Wow Bill; the trip to Glaser's really inspired you! That is awesome . . .
    I'm tellin ya, It was a real game changer. Paulo really motivated me. I have a new Powermatic 4224 on the way so now I can go big. I plan on making some videos of the work I do too. I think I'm gonna be busy for a while.

Sorry I haven't posted the rest of the pictures, My USB card reader for my camera has a bent pin and won't read the card. I'll get a new one tomorrow and get the pics up.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 03-19-2012 at 2:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I fixed the pin with an xacto knife. Here are some more pics.

Ok, now tell us what the goodies are. Looks like you have some nice rotary tools, what's the pneumatic tool at the bottom? I think the balloon is my favorite of the bunch, and also the key to the "illusion" I'm sure.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    I've had that old air saw and air grinder for over 10 years. As far as the Baloon & cork go, the cork allows me to reverse the inner vessel on the vacuum chuck. The baloon is a clamp inside the vessel. Once you get the illusion in, the baloon is the clamp. The tools on the right are the Glaser MiniQR's I used them to turn the whole thing. The 2 below the vessel are cable driven, one is a grinder and the other is a power carver.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 03-19-2012 at 3:05 AM.