Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Illusion

So, I'm assuming you turn a really thin inner bowl (with a hole in the bottom) plug the hole with a cork reverse it on the vacuum chuck, turn the lip on inner vessel, boil the inner vessel until it becomes flexible enough to work it inside the other vessel, insert balloon and blow it up, once the wood dries and becomes rigid you let the air out of the balloon and 'poof' a vessel inside a vessel. Did I get it right? How thin did you have to turn the inner vessel for it to become flexible enough after boiling to get it in there.

This is super cool, I definitely am going to have to play with this idea
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I noticed your signature.... "William", is it now?

I really would to see how these are done. Again, I have to say, this is an excellent piece. I like it more every time I look at it.
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    Rick, you got it. I turned the walnut to about 3/32"
    David, I've always signed my name William on everything for as long as I can remember. When using a wood burner, it flows muuch better. The "L"'s are hard to get to flow across the grain. 8-)

Davis, I think these would be right up your alley. I could see many extraordinary pieces done this way coming from you. They are fairly easy and a lot of fun.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Well, I like "William" better than "Bill". And I would love to take a whack at one of these...
    David DeCristoforo

Bill thanks for sharing, I am going to have to give this one a shot at some point. It looks like fun to me.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Awesome job, Bill!

Blog Entries
    Thanks again everyone. I plan on another one with a new twist as soon as I get my PM 4224 set up. I see so much potential for these techniques that I want to put to use asap. The new lathe has me as excited as I felt when I first started turning. (But with more experience under my belt)So there'll be more coming soon.

As someone who has never turned anything but their ankle, I am amazed at what you guys do. Thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bob, feel free to jump into the vortex, you'll be glad you did. Lots of fun and lots of incredible people. I started on a Jet Mini in 2006 and haven't stopped since other than going bigger & bigger on the lathe size. (and turnings)

Bill, this is stunning. And the technique described is unbelievable. I just figured you cut the bottom out of the outer vessel and replaced it in a very stealthy manner. I too am excited to lend my hand at something like this.

Thanks Bob, feel free to jump into the vortex, you'll be glad you did.
    Bill

Thanks for the offer but from what I have read, one does not jump into the vortex but gets sucked in! I have too many projects waiting right now and I know that if I bought a lathe I would get distracted. Maybe down the road, I did check out Craigslist though............

Blog Entries
    And it's there that the Vortex starts, only a matter of time now.

Kidding aside, I'm glad everyone enjoyed this one, thanks very much.

Bill I just saw this thread. All I can say is wow. I look forward to seeing what you crank off of the new mustard monster. I have not turned anything in 2+ weeks. I should be able to move all 5 lathes by this weekend to the new shop. I am getting ready to sling some shavings. Once again, another wonderful piece.

Bill,
    Been busy and missed this one. The WOW factor is amazing. I truly love the concept and your execution. I am, as others, interested in the process and would love to try one for my upcoming Gallery show, if you haven't already patented it? lol Great work, Bill!
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Wow. I remember when you first posted that piece. What a transformation! Really nice work on this...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain