Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.5 hrs. Start to Finish - a review of General WTF

3.5 hrs. Start to Finish - a review of General WTF

I used the General WTF finish for the first time on the Copper Handled Pitcher posted a week or so ago. I commented then that I wanted to do a piece with a high gloss finish to see how WTF performed. While the satin finish on the pitcher was a good fit, I like a gloss on many of the pieces I turn. I have been fairly happy with WOP, but we are all looking for the perfect all round finish, I think.

Let's just cut to the chase and say - I have found my "go to" finish! This stuff is fantastic!

This is a piece of Claro Walnut that didn't have a lot of figure, but had some beautiful color. When I cut it round, it showed some season cracks that were filled with CA. Dimensions are about 6" x 3". The form is compliments of my mentor, fellow moderator and good friend, Steve Schlumpf! I wanted a form I could do quickly, as this was really about the finish, not the turning.

I rarely keep time on a piece. Mostly, I am not sure I would want to know, and I am fairly certain Bill Wyko doesn't want to know on his pieces either!! But, on this one, I really wanted an idea of how quickly I could do a piece - start to finish using WTF.

This was completed over 3 days, simply because of available time slots. It took 45 minutes to turn the form, about 20 minutes to sand it and lay on a couple coats of shellac. hollowing was about 45 minutes - 1.25" hole makes a HUGE difference vs. a 7/8" hole! Sanding the interior, reversing and turning off the bottom - another 30-40 minutes.

The finishing went like this - applied 5 coats, the first of which dried in about 6 minutes. Bear in mind that I had optimal conditions - 80* (yes, 80*! - rare for March 18), low humidity, sunshine and a slight breeze. I was outside. Additional coats dried as quick as I could apply them - 15 minutes for the first 5 coats. I immediately dry sanded with 1200, and applied about 6-7 more coats. Dry sanded again with 1200, taking care this time to really level the finish. Immediately Triple buffed at 850rpm with Tripoli, WD, and Ren wax. About 1.5 hours for finishing, and just over 3.5 hours total!

Claro walnut was a good test for this finish. It is very open grained and I often have difficulty with WOP filling the grain - it seems to avoid the pores. The WTF filled exceptionally well. In fact, I think another 4-5 coats and this piece would look like it had a full "grand piano" lacquer finish. The clarity is exceptional, and it has a good feel.

The only "con" is that it dries so quickly, it simply does not level. Perhaps in a different environment - cooler, more humidity, no sunshine, etc., things would be different. However, when I did the pitcher, it dried nearly as quickly then. I didn't find this to be a problem, however, as is sands great with 1200, and it can be sanded immediately. By that, I mean immediately - as quickly as I went back inside the shop and got a piece of sandpaper!

The shellac base helped in many ways. It filled the pores a little, and was an initial sealer that allowed the first coat of WTF to lay on the surface and dry very quickly.

Thought you might like to know my findings! I didn't really post this as a "turning project" thread, but you are welcome to comment as desired.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Arrrghhh! My eyes!!!

Great looking form, John. That finish is.... well.... shiny! And the walnut doesn't look too bad either!
    David DeCristoforo

glad you like it John, we all have an idea of what we want, it is very evenly applied, great form

John, the form is georgous and the finish is georgouser!! I'll definitely try it and thanks so much for posting your results.

Well John, if that's the best you can do. Beautiful and very well written. Will this be added to the WIP thread?
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Looks great to me and I had hear some bad tales on WTF but now I think I may have to give it a try.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

7. Yep...........I agree about the WTF, although I have not done a review on it! Bernie Wieshapl got my head thinking on this finish with his comments a few months back........I like it because of two reasons..........it has a nice finished look first and foremost, and it dries quickly........

It is a water based polyurethane with extra dryers in it..........ideal for wood turners...........I guess that is why they call it the Woodturners Finish............make sense to me.

Nice form on that claro, John, and really nice finish!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I almost never go for that type of finish. If I want some gloss, I like an old can of whatever poly, that has thickened up. Since it is more solids, it builds more quickly. I have a friend (last name of Woods, really, I am not kidding) who has done flooring for ever. He uses wood floor finishes. Again, they have more solids, build quickly, and are supposed to be hard as nails when cured. Not sure how they would compare though.

robo hippy

I've used the WTF a few times and I have yet to get that kind of gloss to it. I guess I need to add more coats!

Beautiful work, John!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I use it on the inside of my pieces because it drys quickly and can be sanded quickly. Really good stuff but a bit expansive. By the way I like that piece or walnut along with a wonderful form.

Alan

John,
    I've never been a fan of WOP even though you've done beautiful work with it. No finish I've seen in WOP compares to the depth this finish produced for you. You also seem to have mastered the art of photographing hi gloss finishes so they show off their best qualities. Maybe someday you can tell us how to do it. Anyway, yet another beautiful job of turning, surface prep and finish. I like the words I like the beat, I give it a "105" because 95 just isn't high enough.
    faust

All I can say is Wow! You really have this turning thing down. Beautiful John.

2 1/2 hours for the complete turning???? John, when can I come down for lessons? The piece is just beautiful! (The finish isn't too bad 'neither. ;-)

14. I need to practice a lot more 3.5 hours wow! and that finish is amazing! I am sourcing a tin here in the UK whilst I type!
    Ermmm ............ lots of miles from Mr S very many miles

Thanks for the review, John. I really like the use of shellac as a sealer to avoid raising the grain.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.