Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3.5 hrs. Start to Finish - a review of General WTF

I have heard good things about WTF so I guess I need to give it a try when I run out of AO.
    God is great and life is good!

Man, I can't get past that beautiful form and wood to evaluate the finish! That's a beautiful HF for sure and the GWTF looks like something worth trying. I like anything that can look that good that fast.

John I have to agree that the finish looks top notch, walnut bowl ain't no slouch either. You never mentioned how you applied the finish. I use mostly WOP and oil finish and very low tech method to apply, like a soft blue shop towel folded a few times. I'm always looking for a quicker better way. I have even been known to use the K. Burns 10 minute finish on occasion. It is nice but totally different look.
    Fred

Thanks, guys for the comments on the form. I do appreciate it. Fred, I used a piece of paper shop towel for the first 5 coats, and then switched to a cosmetic sponge wedge for the remainder. I tends to hold a bit more finish.

Reed, I agree the floor finishes have more solids and build well, but they don't dry in 2 minutes! The total application time for all coats was less than 35 minutes. Most of the remainder was spent sanding and buffing. I would guess the first dry sanding took 10-15 minutes, and the second a little longer. Buffing didn't take long at all.

Alan, the cost for a quart is about $2 more than Minwax WOP in a quart. Coverage seems about the same, and my guess is the shelf life will be better, but that remains to be seen. I certainly won't miss that gunked up top on the can of WOP!

Nice chunk of claro John!! What do you think the result of sanding sealer and then WTF would be on walnut? Sometimes, the open pore look adds texture...sometimes the "glass look" really takes the show! I think most of your claro works benefits from the refined smoothness a gloss WOP style finish.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I will give it try. 2oz bottle for $6.99 at woodcraft is not to much to invest, to try it out to see if it works for you. I have been looking for something that would give a quicker finish on a larger turning then pens. C/A does not go over well in larger turnings for me. Do you apply it spinning on the lathe or when it is off the lathe ? Carl
    Last edited by Carl Civitella; 03-18-2012 at 7:59 PM.

Carl, if you are going to try it, the 2 oz. will probably do a turning or two, but the quart is about $28- much cheaper per ounce!

Jim, the Claro walnut is more open pore than black walnut, and as you know, it often has a lot of color variation and figure. By sanding sealer, I am not sure what you mean. I don't use anything for a sealer except shellac and on rare occasion, lacquer if I want to avoid the amber tint.

With a gloss finish, I want it flat with no, or minimal, grain/pores showing. On a matte or satin look, I am OK with some texture in the grain. The WTF seems to fill the grain much better than does WOP. I guess from a technical view, the WTF is, in fact, a WOP! It has urethane resins, and is usually applied by wiping - seems to fit!

Great looking piece John and I love the finish. I think your use of shellac helped a lot to build the finish up quicker. I have used a pint of WTF and have generally been pleased. I would be curious to know if you have every used Minwax water based poly. It is 1/2 the price of WTF and I get similar results with the Minwax versus the WTF.

That's a wonderful gloss John, and with about 12 applications you say? I haven't previously used more than 3 coats of WTF, and no buffing was attempted, but it appears the the WTF is about as close to a do it all finish as we've ever had.

Blog Entries
    LAMO I got a goood chuckle my friend. I have no idea how long this stuff takes to do. Beats sitin on my rear watching tv though.
    As far as your piece goes, That looks absolutely fantastic!!! Beautiful form and figure in the wood. The finish, superb. I'll be looking in to this stuff. Very well done.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    I would be curious to know if you have every used Minwax water based poly. It is 1/2 the price of WTF and I get similar results with the Minwax versus the WTF.
    Greg, I used water based poly in years past on a couple of flatwork projects, but wasn't impressed. I suspect the formula has changed substantially. In looking at the Minwax, it appears drying time between coats is 30 minutes, so I am not sure one could apply as many coats in as short a time. However, it might be worth a try - if I can pull myself away from this product!

John.... I love the form!!! I am surprised at how well the finish brought the wood to life! I have used a water based finish in the past and it just didn't do anything to enhance the grain. This looks great and makes me wonder how it would do on Curly!!? Will have to check into it at some point as I am getting a little tired of fighting with WOP to get the end result that I want!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

John thanks for the info in the WTF. I have never heard of it. I'll have to try some. Great form and I agree that the gloss is almost piano quality.

Wow! Fabulous John. I endeavour to gain your skill level. Thanks for the tips on the finish. I'll give it a try.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Great wood, form, and finish John! Thanks for the details on your application procedure. Sounds like a smart choice for that type of look. I will have to give it a try at some point.