Thread: New Lathe

New Lathe

I could use your thoughts here guys. I'm in a position to buy my second lathe. I consider myself a competent as a beginning turner and it's time for my second lathe. I can get a Jet 1642EVS, Jet 1236 plain jane, or any other suggestions? I've got a couple days before the free shipping offer expires so fire away. All ideas would be appreciated.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Get the best lathe you can afford. I've got a 1236 and while it gets the job done, there are better lathes out there for about the same or a little more. I like the features of the 1642 and it seems to be a great lathe....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Between those two, the 1642 without a doubt. I have its slightly bigger relative, the powermatic 3520A and would not want to go smaller now I have used it.
    Have fun shopping and more fun using!

The 1642 EVS would be #1 for me of the two.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

5. 1642 evs for sure!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

As others have said - get the best you can afford. I have the Powermatic 3520B and this morning was turning a crotch piece that was down to 16" diameter, but still had to turn at a reduced speed due to the unbalance. I had to start the piece out at about 225 rpm and was up to almost 400 rpm as mass was removed even with the heavy weight of the lathe.. The Jet 12236 minimum speed really makes it hard sometimes to turn material cut from logs or unbalanced, even with the 12" D limit due to its weight and 500 rpm minimum (that was reason to get the 3520).

Powermatic 3520B

current 15% off plus free shipping makes it a great option.

I agree with Thomas.

I think the 1236 has a Reeves drive. Best to stay away from those as they tend to be troublesome.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I agree with the advice to pick up the most lathe that you can afford. For my second lathe, I moved up from a Craftsman Mono-Tube to a Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp... great lathe. The swing, variable speed and weight of the machine allowed my skills to progress because for once, the machine was not holding me back!!

Good luck with your decision! Looking forward to seeing the photos!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I just went on Amazon tonight and purchased a brand new Jet 1642EVS couldn't let The Jet sale go by and the price go back up

Ok I pulled the trigger on the 1642 EVS. I couldn't pass up the sale and shipping. Now I get to fidget till it shows up. Thanks for your thoughts guys
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Me too Steven. I had been drooling over this lathe since 2006 and couldn't take it no more, went to Credit Union approved in 4 hours and back in debt again.

My lathe showed up today! 7 days earlier than Amazon told me it would.......Amazon rocks!