Thread: "Leah"

"Leah"

"Leah" is from a pine tree that my youngest daughter planted when she was in 2nd. grade (Arbor Day project)
    It died a couple of years ago, laid in the wood pile. Last fall I cut off the knotted areas and noticed the nearly green color.
    I finally made her a piece from it.leah1.jpgLeah2.jpgleah3.jpg
    Roughly 3-1/2" tall, 4-1/2" diameter
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

Jerry, that is really unusual looking pine!!! Great piece - when I saw it, I immediately thought it was dyed.

Nice looking piece. I normally don't follow turning posts much, but had to comment on this one...."Leah" is my middle daughter's name. Excellent work!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Wow - that color is not what I expected from pine! Beautiful! I am sure your daughter will love this!! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like it and I bet your daughter will love it. I don't think I ever seen pine that color. Must be black pine.
    Fred

Beautiful! The wood has a lot going on. Great color, grain, etc. I'm sure your daughter will love it!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Very cool. She's gonna like that one.

Jerry I have to agree with the others, not the color I would expect for pine. You mentioned "nearly green" color. How close are the pics to the color you see?

"The best things in life are not things."

9. That wood is really dark for pine isn't it? Nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Some how...Post Quick reply didn't get hit the first time...However it came about...it's beautiful and you did your daughter and her project proud!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Nice shape and the color makes it very distinctive. With the history, it will make a great keepsake for her!

The color in the picture are pretty much "spot on". They seem ever so slightly darker to me in real life. The pith of the branches is true, they are reddish tan.
    Think maybe I will get a chance to try one end grain today.
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

Very nice, love the color and grain and those branch knots are cool. First thing I thought of was Van Gogh's "Starry Night".
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

You got a nice piece and a memory for your daughter. Nice save of that old stump. I was surprised a couple of years ago about wood out of discarded Christmas tree on street, and this is much better.